Which stove for a large Tentipi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Friends have just bought a large Tentipi and want to know what to start looking at re-stove.
Frontier any good?
Not my area, any advice would be great.

Cheers.

C.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Wish I could help, I've got a Belltent and have fitted a Frontier stove, cantnfault it for the money but have no experience of using one in a Tenttipi.

Good luck with your question!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I use a Fronteir in my Tentipi and it's fantastic, great stove- mines the Safir 5cp. I fancy a Helsport, they look tops- but are pricey! Tentipi make their own ones which look good but are bloody steel and a bit big for the five man. I have both the fire boxes Tentipi make and they're very good but too smokey for inside the tent, although the tent ventilation system works extremely well. :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Thanks gents, ind f you
swotty, have you noticed a problem with your flue clogging up may I ask?

Best.
Chris.

No more so than any other wood burner and as I'm sure know its dependent on the timbers burned and how well seasoned they are. It needs a good clean after a week away but then so do I :p

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I used a helsport stove in the past made for the job ideal with no flue issues.

The wildo stove worked well to , heavy , solid with a large cooking area ....not a bad price

Twodogs

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
The Dunster house hope stove. It looks good, has a folding side plate. Cheaper than the frontier stove aswell, I've wanted one for a while, something else always comes up that seems more important. I will have one for the winter hopefully.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I have frontier in my tentipi. Hardwood burns fine. No clogging at all. Mainly used willow:

Plus: Probably unbeatable for the price unless DIY, packs down well into a bag you can carry on your shoulder.
Minus: Not particularly thick steel. Cannot regulate well. The air intake is the door either open or nearly closed. It could do with a proper sliding vent.
Don't bother with the strap on kettle. Yes they work but a pain to pack and transport. Get a normal stove kettle. Multi-purpose.

Jun 9, 2011
suffolk
I liked the idea of the frontier, but when it arrived I had to fix it. ... A leg pivot wasn't welded properly.
The flue is too narrow, I think it's so it all fits in the stove.
last , and worst, - the door comes nearly to the top of the front of the stove, so the smoke finds it easier to leave by the door, than by the flue, the end of which apparently comes down lower than the top of the door.
The Waldo looks like it should be better, more durable,
but less portable.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I use a Frontier in my Tipi and think value for money wise it's excellent. The flu is narrow and if using softwood can choke up after 4-5 days of hard use. It disassembles easily and quickly though and a teatowel tied to a length of rope makes an great pullthrough quickly cleaning it out. It did sometimes fill the Tipi with smoke in certain weather conditions though, this was solved by having a simple witches hat made for the top of the flu. (will try to dig out some pictures).

The stoves that Tipi sold were really expensive and I'd heard reports of the bottom falling out of them after use. Which wouldn't be good when lit at four in the morning.

Is possible I try to burn hardwoods as there is less to clog up the flu. The stove itself heats a big Tipi so well that even sub zero it's teashirt weather inside, dries everything out nicely too. Great to cook on and with my bonny copper kettle gives me copious amounts of hot water for washing and constant brews.

The silicone flashing was easy to fit, though a bit un-nerving to cut into your nice expensive tent when fitting!

All over I think they make a great combination and love them to bits. Any more questions, please just ask. Will post up some pics when I get a chance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE