Which sized allen key wrench for rifle scopes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all.

I have a BSA Jaguar rifle scope and I lost the small thin allen key that came with it.

I have a set of quality Pedro keys used for bicycle maintenance but none of them fit although the 2.5mm key very nearly does (a little too small) whereas the 3mm key is too big!

Anyone know what sized allen key I need?

Thanks,
Jim.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The screw may be imperial, rather than metric. I'm not familiar with that particular range of scopes but that's my best guess.

Dave

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Yes I think your right... 7/64 is about 2.8mm.
I found one to buy online for 60 pence but the £5 shipping is ridiculous.

Gonna go down to town and see if I can find one.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There's a set (2 of same size, incase you round one off) for £2, or best offer posted on a well known auction site ;)

Item number: 230469939400

al.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you lock the screws with blue threadlock... they should stay 'as-is' for as long as required.

Just make sure its blue (non permanent) and not red (permanent, or can be removed with heat, lots of)

al.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well done mate thanks!
Ordered it now.

Heck, that was all very fast! I just went out to check if I'd got a spare one in the tool box that I could post to you and it's too late. :)

Anyone know a good way to store the allen key on the gun itself?

Depends how fussy you are. Two or three rubber bands would do it for me, although they perish after a few months so you have to remember to keep replacing them. If you have a gun case it would be better in a zipped pocket in that.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
how generous of you mate, thanks, but like you say too late now!
I unscrewed the rubber pad from the end of the gun butt and could easily have an allen key wedged between the wood butt and rubber pad, but then I'd have to somehow find a way of carrying a screw driver on the gun aswell!

It's a circa 1982 Weihrauch HW80/

I rememeber in the cadets some of us stored packets of fags and chocolate bars inside the hollow plastic shell that surrounds the barrel of the SA-80 rifle.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I was going to say, some makers hollow out a section in the cheek of the stock, but you would still need a screwdriver LoL!

HW80...
My very first air rife. Despite spending thousands on theobens later in life, I still to this day think I was more accurate with that 80 and some iron sights than I ever was with the theobens!

Superb rifles :)

al.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Tell me about it! I spent months researching air rifles and from the very start it quickly became apparant that the Weihrauch HW80 and to a slightly lesser extent the HW95 were the only ones worth buying, and I got lucky as the seller had not only a HW80 but a HW80 made in a German factory and not the modern ones that are made in China so I hear.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
China... Oh dear. Not that they cant compete, sometimes to an equivalent standard these days, but german engineering dominated the field for most of my childhood.

End of an era :( and no doubt Lothar Walther barrels.

Enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE