Leather case, leather craft kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I was messing with some leather ideas last week after getting some scraps.
A CD sized bit of pig skin gave me over twenty feet of thong, and a tobacco tin rectangle of cow skin plus a strip of cow eight inches or so by an inch.

This is what I came up with, using a simple whip stitch.

5382X16K8353

The picture isn't great as it has been shrunk quite a bit.

It didn't come out all that straight, the holes were too far apart and because of this it had a tendency to slant. Next time I will use a more elaborate stitch or make the holes closer together.
It was sealed on the end from a cutting of birch, wrapped on the outside with a simple turks head knot.

The stopper was made from rolling the strip of leather and tying that off with another matching turks head. Then slicing out one thickness of leather.

It is not completely air tight but it if it was sealed with resin it might even hold liquids. It would probably float for a time none the less

Heres an idea.....
Does hide glue, turn solid enough to be used as a sealant, I have never made it before but it is worth considering.

The tools it holds are seen in this pic.
1F5Z007819CR

8 Razor blades to use if the knife ever dies.

I threw the tooth pic and tweezers in just because I could.

The swiss card pen is handy for working out sizes etc.

The knife itself I have used on countless leather projects, including the cutting of 5mm leather for sheaths. By simply stabbing it into a stump, I use an angled stump. and using the tool as if it was a bandsaw.
The blade itself is thin enough not to get in the way, even for small circles.
It holds an edge well too. Some ppl say the swiss card is not to be relied upon but I find with care it is a fantastic craft knife.

The three different sized holes would be perfect for sewing with different materials from sinew to twine.
The largest awl tip also works better than my mini steel, probably cause it is smoother.
They can be used probably with and stub of a stick for safety, but I also have a very old hand cuff key on my keyring with a hollow centre, the hole is large enough for the largest awl, The newer hand cuff keys are hollowed out but not as comfortable to use.

The last two brass points, are thonging needles, handy for thick and thin leathers and really easy to use. Simply moisten the skivved tip, screw it in and start sewing., I am not sure if sinew could be used with them, but if it was screwed in and left to dry it might.

I have also thought about adding the swiss scissors, they are good for upto 2-3mm leathers believe it or not.

With all that is in the case allready it is only half full, So I guess I could add some more proper needles from my other sewing kit. I only have one bone needle so far and it's not great so I shall have to get some practice in the next time I have some chicken wings.

BTW this is the kit I used solely to make the GB hunters axe sheath that razorstrop and bikething commented upon at the weekend.. I will post pics of it else where.

If any one has some more ideas on how to improve this design can you let me know? Or possible content to include?

This is the other sewing kit btw.

p.jpeg

I always carry this kit with me where ever I go.

I kinda prefer my new more primitive looking version, So I am going to make a few more and maybe try a hide glue sealant too.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Try soaking the finished tube in molten beeswax, or ordinary parafin wax for that matter as it isn't being used for food purposes. That'll seal it. You can add a one pence piece in the bottom of the case to prevent the tips of your sharps from damaging the wax seal on the inside of the base.

Eric

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I will be making more razor, if nothing else to improve the design, But I shall be busy with my knife swap sheath tomorrow hopefully, And I still need to get my sling design finished.
Pm me and let me know what you want and I will see what I can do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE