Which portable stove is the best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Wow, can of worms... What's the best colour? who's the most beautiful woman? what's the best beer? What's the best stove?

I can't say which is best, but I can say as follows based on my experience:

• MSR Whisperlite Internationale (~2000 model) - Burns several liquid fuels, but primarily white gas (coleman fuel). Contrary to popular belief you can simmer on it, and I used it for many years for proper cooking and just boiling water. It's not the lightest stove out there, but I do have a softspot for this stove (it was my first)
  • BCB Crusader (MK1) - Bit of a one trick pony, burns hexy, boils water. You can use dragon fuel (ethanol gel), but it does tend to gunk it up. This stove is heavy. (Use now discontinued as it's far to heavy)
  • MSR Dragonfly - Burns pretty much every liquid fuel you can think of except Meths. It's a heavy stove, but has excellent flame control. Fire it up and everyone for miles around knows about it, it's *NOISY*. Imagine cooking dinner on the afterburner of a jet... (Now sold)
  • Cat can stove - cost me 65p, weighs just a few grams, and drinks meths like it's going out of fashion... Nice in theory, but you spend so much feeding it meths you don't get much benefit from the low cost and low weight. I no longer use this stove.
  • Evernew Meths burner + DX stand - Has on paper one of the faster boil times of any meths stove, but it uses more fuel to boil a the same quantity of fuel than other meths stoves. It's lightweight, and rather expensive. But rather shiny and titanium.
  • Starlyte stove - Light weight, very efficient, improved fuel efficiency in that you can blow it out and put the lid back on it. My stove of choice for short trips where I just need to boil water.
  • Whitebox stove (narrow version) - This one is beautiful when it's up and blooming, shiny jets of flame shooting out the side, but you need a wide enough pot to take advantage of it. I can't give enough comment on fuel efficiency, but what you stick in you have to burn, you can't turn it off and save the fuel. A pretty stove, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
  • Primus Omnilite Ti (With silencer) - All the advantages of the MSR Dragonfly, half the weight, and almost silent. Added advantage that it can be run on Gas as well as the usual liquid fuel options. Beautiful piece of engineering and a joy to use. The pouch that comes with it is far to heavy (weighs the same as the stove itself).
  • Prototype jetboil type stove - This was sent to me to test by a UK based manufacturer. It has some issues (it is a prototype afterall). It's a one trick pony, but it does it very well, boiling 500ml of water on 6g of gas. Not the lightest, but not the heaviest. If I was doing a trip based purely with dehydrated/freeze dried meals. I may consider this stove.

So there you go, that is the complete list of stoves in my stable. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, each has certain things that it can do well, and things it struggles with. Which I take on a trip depends on what I am planning to do and what I am prepared to carry.

Which is best? I'd probably say it's the one you have with you at the time.

J

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Please divide these choices into 2 piles.

1. The stove that you would use when you have no choice, the grid is down and the house is DARK.
It is -20C and the wind is howling as you see the snowdrifts building up.

2. The stove that you would like to use, perhaps out-and-about.

I need options for #1. I have 2 stoves for light cooking but others to consider would be quite useful.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland

1. The stove that you would use when you have no choice, the grid is down and the house is DARK.

2. The stove that you would like to use, perhaps out-and-about.

I need options for #1. I have 2 stoves for light cooking but others to consider would be quite useful.

Well that's a little leading. #1 is a squat candle, behngazi burner or, meths and #2 is an omnifuel etc. For me it's ultimate portability and navigable weight. Others it may be relaiable fuel

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Kick your Reliance Dewi. Join the no gear crew ;) I still say the cockroaches is a good name!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
The best stove is one that someone else is operating, so I tend to camp near restaurants. The better ones will deliver to a GPS coordinates. Short of that, I prefer my SVEA 123.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

Primus or msr multifuel With a spare pump. Or one of the old optimus no8's or svea123 type stove would be my choice for a packaway emergancy type

The modern multifuels are great for snow melting and such in arctic conditions too. Odds are you wont have to keep special fuel in for them either

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Julia, is the starlyte a more efficent burner than a fancy feest type or is it just that its easy to blow out and save fuel?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not lightweight but the 111T will burn naptha/paraffin and alcohol

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150814_134754.jpg
    20150814_134754.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 219

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just putting this out there. The benghazi. Purchase cost, nothing. weight, empty tin can and some lighter fluid. Ease of use, whack some dirt or sand in there squirt in petrol and light it up. Durability, who gives a smeg it's a can.
It's also one of those fancy multifuels! Run it on anything that fits in the can that's flammable, petrol, kerosene (with a wick), meths, esbits, hexy, moonshine. Pretty much anything!

Curiously enough this was mentioned in a book I was reading last night.

The book is called "The Sharp End - The Fighting Man in World War II".

The petrol-in-a-can stove was mentioned in Chapter 5, "Casualties".

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The petrol-in-a-can stove was mentioned in Chapter 5, "Casualties".

Aye don't be tempted to refill them hot. But then people trying to fill got things with petrol, that's not dangerous, that's evolution

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
That's weird. I sort of like the smell, but AFAIK they've never had any effect on me other than making me smell a smell.

How close do you have to get to see the colours? :)
I joke of course, they've made me fairly dizzy in the past mind. When they say well ventilated areas they mean it!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

It is -20C and the wind is howling as you see the snowdrifts building up...

If the grid is down, the wind is howling, it's -20C and the snow is building up I still have lots of choice of stoves. :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Oh, I dunno that, Ged. If you have the alcohol tube fitment, they burn pretty well.

However, for bomb-proof reliability, the basic 111 paraffin is just about unbeatable. Safest fuel too, imho. Certainly I'd never use petrol in my tipi (8 man) but am comfortable using paraffin, with the usual disclaimers about ventilation and common sense. Actually, alcohol is probably the safest fuel, but it has only 50% of the thermal efficiency of paraffin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE