Which MSR water filter ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
My brother is in the States at the moment and will bring back whatever I need (within reason). I want to buy a water filter/purifier system. I have my eye on a MSR system but I am not 100% sure which model to go for. Has anybody here got any experience with these systems. Which one is the best, most user friendly and trouble free.

All advice appreciated.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks Graham,

That model is one of two on my list. The other one is the Sweetwater purifier system. I like the fact that the miniworks is maintainable though and will probably go for that one.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It screws onto a MSR waterbladder or anything with the same size thread as a Nalgene bottle.
plus you can take it apart without tools to maintain it. spares kits are easily available too.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks again Graham,

Its good to hear about equipment from people with experience. Would you buy another one if your current one packed up for any reason ? A good indicator of satisfaction with a product I reckon.

Jiffy

Jun 28, 2008
Edinburgh
I've had the Miniworks EX for years now and it's serving me fine. Field and Trek have had offers on the replacement cartridge and the little service kit so I've got everything to service it should I have any problems.

I have an adaptor to connect it to my Camelbak so I can just pump filtered water straight from the river into the bladder in my rucksack.

EDIT: Here's the one I've got:
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product...ount=999&showall=true&filter_cat=EQUICAMPWPUR

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Folks,

Just a question, I own a miniworks and after the last time I used it I became sick (eaten food coming out at the top and bottom). As some other people had the same discomfort I doubt it was the water (taken from the ourthe in the ardennes). but it made me wonder do you usually treat the water chemically after filtration ?

Jiffy

Jun 28, 2008
Edinburgh
No, if I was worried about there being a virus in the water I'd boil it. If I was going to use iodine, I'd do it before filtering as I think iodine filters out so it doesn't taste so bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE