Which knot to use?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
We've started building a "twigloo" - a willow structure and for the main struts I need a knot that can hold them together, bearing in mind they're under quite a lot of tension. The knots I'd used before have all come undone so it's not looking terribly dome like at the moment. Thinking of using jute although might have to resort to wire as its a one handed job, really

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Tarred (Stockholm tarred cord, available form fisherman's chandlers) nylon cord lasts a long time and doesn't slacken, a variety of knots can be used successfully for the purpose of securing it.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you are pruning out willow shoots nearby, why not use strips of willow bark to bind it in place.....

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lovely idea but working above my head on my own, I need to be able to hold them together and there's a lot of force trying to spring them apart. I'll try the arbor knot - it's one I've used before (didn't know it was called that) but it ratchets up nicely

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The times I have seen this sort of structure made with springy material, the ends were entwined with each other so that no additional binding was required. Willow makes good withies, so it should be possible to twist the ends together, assuming you have enough overlap. Failing that, the arbor knot should work for you.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Tried the arbor knot but the willow is so springy it slipped through. I've now resorted to putting 3 whippings on each pair, which are twisted around each other anyway. Had to use sisal (which is stronger anyway). Plenty of new growth starting and hopefully by the time the string rots, it will be so intertwined and tangled that it should hold together

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Did you lock the Arbor knot with a couple of half hitches, as per the Kochanski Jam Knot? If so, that should not have slipped. Sorry, I didn't spell that out.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can you make a donut (like a wreath frame) from twisted withies then prod the ends of the struts into it?

That might work but there is a significant amount of tension in the struts - think fishing rod - and not sure it would hold in the wind

Did you lock the Arbor knot with a couple of half hitches, as per the Kochanski Jam Knot? If so, that should not have slipped. Sorry, I didn't spell that out.

It was getting it tight enough in the first place that was he problem. The knot didn't slip, the willow slipped out. I think with the binding it should be OK now. If not, I'll be using wire & cable ties!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Can you boil/hold the willow in very hot water to soften the wood? It should become quite plastic which will set in service as it cools down. AKA steam bending but plain old boiling water is just as good.

If not, please do take the bark off if the twigs are fresh/green. My brother wove a very large fruit basket in a crafts workshop. Over the next few weeks, most of the twigs sprouted!!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Whenever I am doing that sort of thing 'twigloo' hadn't heard that one before but have done a lot living shelters, Duck nest sites and fences etc. if I am working alone I generally use a heavy/thick (easy to undo) garden wire to hold in place whilst I tie a good secure knot with Jute. Generally by the time (if at all) that the branch becomes too thick for the binding the jute is rotten enough to simply snap/disintegrate. As for not looking very dome like initially, don't worry about it, by mid-summer after a few tweaks and prunes it will be fine.

D.B.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can you boil/hold the willow in very hot water to soften the wood? It should become quite plastic which will set in service as it cools down. AKA steam bending but plain old boiling water is just as good.

If not, please do take the bark off if the twigs are fresh/green. My brother wove a very large fruit basket in a crafts workshop. Over the next few weeks, most of the twigs sprouted!!

It's a living structure, we want the twigs to sprout!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What you do is this.
Take a 2m length of cordage, sisal, willow, whatever you have to hand, and fold it in half put the loop of the fold over one end of a withy, about a handspan back from the end, and pull the loose ends through. It's a kind of hitch with two ties left hanging. Knot those around the willow to secure.
Now, take the other withy and slowly twine the the first one around the second one. When it's where you want it to be, wrap the two ends of string around the new one and tie it off. You won't use all of the twine to do that so go back over the twinned pair of withies (like wrapping gladiator sandals up a leg) cross the twines around the willows and each other, and tie off securely.

It shouldn't budge after that, and the strings help you hang onto one while you reach for the other.

If you have managed to get some twist into the willows where they're crossed over each other, they'll keep that as they grow and the new shoots will come from that as the 'base line' when they reach for the light. They can be wrapped around and threaded through the parent shoots to stiffen up the structure in time.

Best of luck with it :)
M

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That would have been a useful way of going, Toddy but I did it this way:

82C14155-C250-4764-9A45-45506905D527.jpg

Doesn't look like much now but the yellow willow around the bottom really glows in the sun. There's some violet at the entrance too although the main structure is common sallow (osier viminalis). One year growth!

6F242FBB-E249-4CB3-ADA8-0AEAABBE1FF3.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That works :D

Very tidy and trim looking shape you've managed too. It's not always as easy as it first appears.

I'd like to see how it turns out :cool: you got a neat looking set of twists on the overlaps too, and it's already showing green.
I'm fond of the willows, and they are lovely to be among.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE