Which Karrimor pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Much as I love my old Berghaus Vulcan, I love PLCE side pouches even more (including the new Karrimor SF ones), and that's a good enough excuse for me to consider upgrading :D

The Sabre 45 is great, but I'm not at a stage where I'd be comfortable with that little kit for an autumn overnighter. The Sabre 75 seems to be an obvious choice, but I then look at the larger Sabre packs and wonder if they might be more useful for me. Does anyone have any experience of the 60-80 etc? Any thoughts or preferences?

Cheers

Tobes

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a Sabre 60-100- and find it brilliant. I also have a Sabre 45.

The only downside for the 60-100 i think is the unladen weight, however the exceptional SA carrying system more than makes up for this i feel. I have used a 65l karrimor pack for years (one of the old made in UK Panthers), and always loved the back system. The fact that it is on the PRI karrimor packs meant it was a no brainer for me when the time came to upgrade. The 75 lacks this fully adjustable system, so depending on your height, you may or may not find it comfortable- only others can advise you on that.

It kind of spoils the fun, but you could always get some zips sewn onto the Vulcan to accept the PLCE side pouches.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've tried using my pouches on the Vulcan, but it definitely needs the zips, otherwise they flop around in an annoying manner. I like the adjustable nature of the 60-100 because I cannot for the life of me find a stockist where I can try one on...

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
tobes

i have the sabre 35 and am getting the 75 when funds allow now i have tried on both the 45 and 75 and because i anm used to the standed issue plce infanty bergan i find the 75 perfect for summer. The reason for this is my kit is rather bulky but reasonably light and it is perfect for my needs in summer were instead of a sleeping bag i will use my very thick wool cloak.
now the 75 litre holds quit alot and has mountains of room and hopefully should suit my needs in summer perfectly.
now the 35 litre is the perfect day bag and when i eventually have the money to by the lightweight underblankets and quilts from the states i willl use it in summer for a over night bag in summer
so yes the 60 to 100 is good but with you having the vulcan do u really need it cos u could get the 75 use that in summer and the vulcan in winter.

drew

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can't really fault the 75 although it's a hell of a weight for a pack, even when it's empty.

I think if I was to buy again I wouldn't necessarily go for the typical bushcrafters MOD pack and I'd pick something from civvie street instead, better designed, usually lighter and equally as "bombproof" as we say.

I reluctantly let my 75 go a few weeks ago, everytime I was hiking anywhere I was picking a lighter pack instead.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I use a Sabre 60-100 as my main pack for overnighters, unless I can get by with less than I use a 45L. I think the 60-100 is an excellent pack and it carries quite comfortable. I began using internal frame packs in the mid-'70's and started with a Lowe Alpine back when they were made in the USA, I have owned or still own, Lowe Alpine, Gregory and some others. I find the Sabre 60-100 to be the most comfortable of them all. It fits me perfectly. I like the lay out and the suspension. It is heavy when empty, that is true but it is also very sturdy. The one I have is an earlier model without the zips for the PLCE pockets, it does have side pockets on the pack but built into the design and do not protrude off the sides. I thought about buying a newer one but actually have never needed the larger side pockets and I an quite pleased with the arrangement I have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE