Which Headlamp would you recommend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi folks!

I´m after a Headlamp and not sure which is good for Bushcrafting!
Can anybody recommend me a good Headlamp?

thx for your help
cheers
Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
hhmm thats not as easy as I thought!
I actually use a very cheap Headlamp from Fox but this is not up to date.....I need something strong with extreme bright light and maybe a red LED included for night tracking and map reading at night!
The Petzl Tikka 2 plus catched my eye for example!

cheers
Mike

Aug 24, 2010
newcastle
just got on of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5W-6-MODE-CREE-LED-300LM-ZOOM-HEAD-LAMP-LIGHT-TORCH-G-/330488834222?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4cf2ab68ae[/URL]

might do for a back up light
for the money thay are a great bit of kit
super bright with dimmer modes and a strobe setting

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
hhmm thats not as easy as I thought!
I actually use a very cheap Headlamp from Fox but this is not up to date.....I need something strong with extreme bright light and maybe a red LED included for night tracking and map reading at night!
The Petzl Tikka 2 plus catched my eye for example!

cheers
Mike
Go with the Gamma, the main beam is decent enough and you get a red, green & blue LED for low light/map reading. For example, the green is useful for OS maps as the countour lines are red, so you can't see them when using a red LED, blue is useful for fluid identification and medical applications (apparently) :)

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx folks for all these comments!
I think I´ll have a look at my local store tomorrow and see what they have in their sortiment otherwise I´ll order a Gamma from the UK :)

cheers
Mike

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I ended up doing a night walk through the Lairig Ghru using little more than my petzel e-light and was very Impressed indeed... In the summer it is my main head torch.

Lots of good things said about the gamma too.

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
Go with the Gamma, the main beam is decent enough and you get a red, green & blue LED for low light/map reading. For example, the green is useful for OS maps as the countour lines are red, so you can't see them when using a red LED, blue is useful for fluid identification and medical applications (apparently) :)

Actually, the Gamma doesn't have a blue LED; it's got a 1W white LED, and three smaller ones (white, green and red). It's also got a red one on the battery compartment, which is actually very useful if you cycle or if someone is following you in the dark.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx to all of you guys!
I found a good headlamp today in my local store which fits my specs and is really bright!
It´s from the company Black Diamond and have 60 lumen brightness and has two main modes (one for the near area and one for the far) at the maximum brightness it runs up to 50hours and weights only 80g! both modes are fully dim-able and the maximum reach of the lamp is up to 70 meters!

No red light (the fact, that the lines on myps are also red - which I can´t see anymore with a red light (thx for the inormation) had decided me to take one without a red light)!

all the best from Austria
Mike

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
Fenix HP10. Newish headlamp and has replaced all those that have gone before. I run off-road (Hashing) and need a good light but headlights can become an expensive option as you search for power, long battery life and sturdyness. The Energizers are great lamps but you do get fed up with the artifacts in the beam pattern, the Alpkit Gamma is a great light (my wife preferred headlamp) but the battery life is not outstanding and light output no more than adequate. For some time my preferred light set up was a Zebralight (pure flood beam) and a Fenix handtorch for a beam with throw. The best compromise yet for an all in one solution is the new Fenix HP10 which is great for being on the move and can be turned low for long battery life and keeping a bit of night vision or can give a three minute burst of 225 lumen power to see into the distance. For camp work the Zebralight range is fantastic with its wide artifact free flood beam.

Andy

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
if your serious about headlamps the tikka or tactikka from petz. Can't go wrong with them. Pricey but good. Only downside is the shiney lens cant be covered during the daytime. Which is a pain when atached to your helmet.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Ive got an Energizer headlight and find it perfectly adequate for doing what I want (has a single red led option as well). The battery lasts for ages and I think I got it for £10 or less on offer in a supermarket IIRC??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE