Which Gransfors hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I'm looking at the Gransfors Wildlife hatchet, or the Mini-Belt hatchet...

I've never seen one in person, so maybe you guys can give me a bit of feedback on them.

I"ll be using it mostly for carving/shaping and don't want anything with a stubby edge.

Which one has the more narrow edge?

Thanks!

St Samwise

Jun 20, 2009
penrith
i would say the mini, i have one and an SFA, i have a couple of mates wilth the wildlife hatchett and i prefer the mini

Samwise

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Buy the Wildlife Hatchet, it's small enough to pack away in a daysack, only just heavy enough to work reasonably well for carving/shaping and can be pressed into heavier use if required.

The mini is too light to be used (comfortably) for carving.

Just my opinion of course, feel free to disregard:D

R.B.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Go for the Wildlife hatchet, a lot more "choppingpower" for the money, but still small enough for carrying in a small rucksack.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
it looks like the Wildlife will be my choice! Thanks for the insight.

I"ve been using an old Plumb ($9!) that I really like but the edge is still nicked after lots of filing. I guess the old-timer who had it wasn't very careful to keep the edge out of the dirt. I"ve seen a bunch at flea markets but they all have been in rough shape, so I want to start out with the best I can get.

(now if it would stop raining so I can get out; its the end of July and we haven't had summer yet)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE