Which field guide do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

covertcraft

Feb 6, 2009
Milton Keynes
The best thing I have (no joke) is a pocket sized digital camera with good macro facilities and a ruler. Using the ruler for scale I can take loads of pictures of animals, trees, fungi, tracks, plants, birds and identify them when I get home. If I go out to look at plants, I see birds. If its birds I spot an interesting tree.

I just can't carry them all and, to be honest, I don't want to plan to only observe one thing.

So, I take the camera, record, and look it up when I get home. I then file the photos by name.

You would be amazed how many times I have struggled to identify something, then found I had done so a couple of years before. The third time its usually "I've seen that before" and I look it up in my own pictures. Very rewarding that way. The dates on photos are handy for seasonality too.

Its an updated version of the old explorers sketchbook idea I suppose. There is nothing new after all

Red

I like your style, and I have the necessary kit so I'll be taking the camera out more often me thinks, got 14 acres of woodland to try and decipher!

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
The only guide I take out one when I'm going over a new and unfamiliar piece of ground/area is the pocket sized Fitter, Fitter & Blamey Wild Flowers of Great Britain & N. Europe. Normally I don't carry a guide with me, but it's just nice to check out an unknown plant if you happen to come across one.

Best
M

BIGWOLFY

Dec 18, 2008
west coast of scotland
It has been said many times before, The more knowledge you carry in your head the less you carry in your backpack.But for me it has to be Collins gem FOOD FOR FREE by Richard Mabey's in backpack size, This one is a must for any one into the bushcraft way of life.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I have a collins `guide ti british trees` which is excellent. it has clear photos of the tree and a leaf/fruit next to it, and even different woods when found on the ground ormade into planks.

i cant name my books off the top of my head but Im always careful to buy guides to britain as many say "britain and europe" those are just not helpful, they cover too many species from a wider demographic, meaning that uncommon species are left out and a whole pile of plants you arent going to come across.

I have a flower book somewhere which actually as ordered the plants in order of flower colour. All the purples are together, all the pinks ect. ive found that to be very helpful.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
For general purpose use I use

"Complete British Wildlife Photoguide" Paul Sterry - Collins

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Complete-Guide-British-Wildlife/dp/0007236832/ref=pd_sim_b_1

It has just about everything you're likely to come across.

For flowers I use what I consider to be the most authoritative book

"The Wild Flower Key" Francis Rose
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Flower...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241298927&sr=1-1

This book has all the flowers with a full description so that you can really be sure of your identification, it also has trees.

For grasses I use

"Grasses" Collins
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grasses-Sed...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241299087&sr=1-9

I don't know why it's so expensive on Amazon the RRP on my copy is only £17.

For birds I think that the Collins book is the best
"Collins Bird Guide: The Most Complete Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bir...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241299258&sr=1-1

For trees I think it has to be Collins again

"Collins Tree Guide"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Tree-Guide-Owen-Johnson/dp/0007207719/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Dorling Kindersley's guide books are also very good.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As has been posted elsewhere on the forum - "The Works" (the high-street discount bookshop) has the Collins Complete British series for £4.99 a book - they're not ones I use personally but they look really good value for someone starting a reference collection.

The volumes I've seen there are birds, flowers, wildlife, and trees all full of good photographs.

Cheers,

Broch

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Ive just this minute ordered 3 of the collins gems: Trees, food for free & wild flowers from Amazon for just under £10 delivered. I reckon thats a pretty good price IMO.

Thanks to all for the above info which has influenced my purchase!

ATB, Jon.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Don't be afraid to write in your books. For example I have Collins gem on trees. Adding notes to the pages I now can identify the tree, know how good it is for fire making, if it's edible and any other uses.

Just by adding notes I have made it so much more useful.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have the Fritter - Fritter and Blamey book and whilst okay I find it more tricky to use in the field as I can't work from the plant in front of me and locate it in the book as easily as I do with another guide I have. I also think the ilustrative detail (drawings) are much superior in the book below:

A Field Guide in Colour to Wild Flowers by Dietmar Aichele and illustrated by Marrianne Golte-Bechtle ISBN 0 7064 0474 2 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241940522&sr=1-1

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have a wonderful guide to trees, It covers 500 species of trees from around the world.

It is part of a series called "Eyewitness Handbooks", Trees, Allen J., Coombes. Mr. Coombes is a Botanist at the Sir Harold Hillier Gardens and Arboretum in Hampshire, England.

He is the author of "The Collingridge Dictionary of Plant Names" and "Bowood's Trees and Shrubs."

So, he is a Brit, and he knows trees. This book could be just what you are looking for if you are interested in trees. The thing I like about this book is that it is filled from front to back with sharp, clear color photographs and illustrations.

Published in Great Britain by Dorling Kindersley Limited. copyright 1992. London. ISBN 1-56458-075X Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 92-52782

I have more complete references, for the U.S. but this is my "go to" reference.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Best book 'I've come across in 35 years of Botanising (also helped me get by Botany Degree!) is the Concise Britsh Flora in Colour by W. Keble Martin - published by Ebury Press. It's not a pocket book --- but well worth carting around!

Having said that, I never take it out with me. If I come across a new plant, I'll try to identify the family it belongs to and try to remember what it looks like. Then open the Keble Martin when I get home and idenify it... works most of the time. And if there are numerous plants I might take a sample gome for identification - or a photo.

Green Deane

May 17, 2009
Florida
www.eattheweeds.com
I don't carry any books into the field -- I teach foraging locally so it should be in my head. But my "plant" library has about 50 books in it, including material by Ray Mears. We have a lot of plants in common plus some techniques are transferable. When I find a plant of interest I take pictures of it and then go do the homework.

The problem here is most foraging books are for the central northern states. Regional ones are lacking or poor, though there is an excellent one for the Great Lakes area.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't carry any books into the field -- I teach foraging locally so it should be in my head. But my "plant" library has about 50 books in it, including material by Ray Mears. We have a lot of plants in common plus some techniques are transferable. When I find a plant of interest I take pictures of it and then go do the homework.

The problem here is most foraging books are for the central northern states. Regional ones are lacking or poor, though there is an excellent one for the Great Lakes area.

You should write one then:deal:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I'm another fan of this book. I think I've recommened it about half a dozen times now. It's one of the few that constantly sit on the bookshelf beside the bed.

I've recently been looking at a Blacks guide on medicinal plants. I was quite pleasantly surprised by it, so will probably look at some of the others too.

I recently bought the Hamlyn Guide to Edible and Medicinal Plants of Great Britain and Northern Europe ; launert, ISBN 978-0600352815 . It is 30 years old out of print, and cost me £20 from amazon, the information in it is unparralled and it is in the lay out of field guide. Excellent book but i wouldn't bring it out side. I tend to mark the margin of my usual field guide with edibility symbols.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE