Which day pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a Berghaus Monro, expensive but realy cant fault it. it is prety bomb proof and at 35 liters can hold every thing I need for a day out.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
This is the perfect one for you. The external frame keepes the back of the sack well away from your body, so no sweaty back. It is actually fantastically comfortable, even when it is heavy (I have had 20kilos in it, mostly water, and it was remarkably comfortable). And it is dirt cheap.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr2592.html

Or, you could take a look in the 'member classifieds' section. I believe there is currently a great deal on a berghaus 49zero :rolleyes: ......

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Swedish army 35litre rucksack, cheap as chips, external metal frame and bombproof. Great for a day in the woods 'cos they're fairly narrow and they're comfy. Can be used for an overnighter if you wrap your sleeping bag in your bivvy bag and strap it to the top.
Have a look here

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Capacious/Martin - Damn £9.95 is dirt cheap for a rucksack, but I'm not sure about these external frame packs, never carried one before and they look uncomfortable and like I'd probably end up getting mangled in there somewhere :rolleyes:

Currently, its splash the £45 on the Saber 30 (which was more than I intended to spend) or go with the Karrimor Ridge 25 for £25...

Geoff

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Yeah they do look uncomfortable but they're not. I've got one and I use it a lot. I suffer a lot with a sweaty back with internal frame sacks. Not so with this sack. Get one, if you don't like it sell it on at a car boot or on here you'll get your money back.
There's a 70 litre version too and I'll be buying one as soon as I find one.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi
sorry to dredge up an old thread but i was wondering could you remove the external metal frame and still use the bag without it
leon

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have used the swedish 35ltr pack for a couple of years now (it has one or two modifications now), but it is probably the best pack I have ever used. The external frame allows air to flow properly between your back and the pack.
The capacity is great (you can fit a Karrimor Sabre 45 inside it!) so mine get used for virtually every bushcraft outing, outside extended winter trips (for that I use the 70ltr version).
Don't be fooled by the price tag - its the best pack going for bushcraft.
Neil

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I am sure I read somewhere on the tread some asking about getting the Sabre packs in Ireland but I can't find to add as a quote. The answer is known but I have used several of there packs and they are worth the money if you can afford it. As a day sack I would probably look at the Delta 35 or Hydro 30 do as I would get more use out of them. (more street looking). You can get the Berghaus Mounro do in Dublin

The swedish army packs are great and with a little work can be very comfortable and Neil I maybe you do up a tutorial/articule for the BCUK Mag on the pack. PLEASE :You_Rock_

James

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Nemisis said:
What about the daysack made up from PLCE side pouches? 20 litres no frame but has a waistbelt very lightweight when empty. I've threaded shock-cord through the back loops with a cord lock to carry wet weather gear also two smaller shock-cord/cordlock loops as pole carriers. Give Kev at endicotts a call under £20 posted as I recall.
Dave.

Good old Kev, he's certainly going to be a good bet. Give him a ring and have a chat, he'll be able to help. His info should be in the resources page. (Oh, and mention BCUK, might have a positive effect ;) )

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I started a tutorial a while back, but it seemed to get very long & complicated, which making the modifications is'nt. So I'll have to start it again and put lots of pictures in.
I replaced the harness, buckles and added compression/attachment straps, I think there are some pics of it in my gallery.
I don't find the need to stash my sleep kit on top, it all fits inside the pack real well, which keeps it all nice & low profile when moving thru dense woodland.
Neil

pinty

Mar 24, 2006
London
Neil1 said:
I started a tutorial a while back, but it seemed to get very long & complicated, which making the modifications is'nt. So I'll have to start it again and put lots of pictures in.
I replaced the harness, buckles and added compression/attachment straps, I think there are some pics of it in my gallery.
I don't find the need to stash my sleep kit on top, it all fits inside the pack real well, which keeps it all nice & low profile when moving thru dense woodland.
Neil
@ Neil1 - Please do post your mod guide when you get a chance, would be appreciated. Have you used a modified PLCE yoke for the harness?

Just got my LK35 in the post today, it's huge, far bigger than expected but this is a good thing. Looking forward to trying it out properly, but the shoulder straps look deadly - could do with softening up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE