Which compact woodburner?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
So after a little research I have found myself looking towards these. . . . but which one!?

Just after some thoughts on value for money, build quality and the like.

The contenders:

The Honey Stove
The Bushcooker / bushbuddy
Home made hobo stove kit

What do you reckon?

Thanks

Drew

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you don't want to make your own, I would go for the Honey Stove. I found the Bushcooker to be very good when it runs well, but it seems to need almost continual attention to keep it burning well. The Honey Stove is very versatile (in both fuels and configurations), and I find that I can leave it alone for longer periods, while I do something else...and it packs up flat, though the Bushcooker can go inside a billy.

When I started out, I used to punch holes in old tin cans, but I've moved on now... :)

My 2d worth.

Geoff

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What Geoff says :).

I use a honey stove and like the fact it packs smaller than a paperback and can handle a trangia as well as being a woodburner

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
So after a little research I have found myself looking towards these. . . . but which one!?

Just after some thoughts on value for money, build quality and the like.

The contenders:

The Honey Stove
The Bushcooker / bushbuddy
Home made hobo stove kit

What do you reckon?

Thanks

Drew

Drew,

I just got a Honey Stove and I love it!

As said, it doesnt need much attention to keep running.

I did a quick review this morning (one of probably about 50 on here)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43577

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Wayland,

Just been on your site and I love your photo's.

I'm off to Nepal later this year to walk to Base Camp. I want to get some great shots and I experiment a lot, but I need some help.

Might be best to PM so not to pollute this thread, but could we have a chat about how to get the best out of my Panasonic Lumix TZ5? I just printed off you top ten hints, but I have some specific questions.

Let me know.

Mike

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Wayland, I must admit, the projects on your site are inspirational and I have just discovered that our biscuit tin fits my billy a treat!

Just in the past, my projects don't seem to end as well as yours do!

Thanks for the input folks!

Drew

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
alpha_centaur said what I would. However to return to your original question, I'd pick the honey stove for value for money coupled with ease of use.

I made my own out of TI sheet. Great fun, but hardly the best value for money considering the tools that I damaged working on the stuff.

Also mine is that small (though almost weightless) that it will only burn for a couple of min, enough to cook on but no more without a recharge of fuel. A honey stove would have been as cheap or cheaper, though not as much fun and a couple of oz more.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
alpha_centaur said what I would. However to return to your original question, I'd pick the honey stove for value for money coupled with ease of use.

I made my own out of TI sheet. Great fun, but hardly the best value for money considering the tools that I damaged working on the stuff.

Also mine is that small (though almost weightless) that it will only burn for a couple of min, enough to cook on but no more without a recharge of fuel. A honey stove would have been as cheap or cheaper, though not as much fun and a couple of oz more.
I knew it would only be a mater of time!

Dude I need to see some pics of this bad boy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE