Which colour webbing ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have started this with the lighter webbing and before I go past the point of no return I am having second thoughts.

I am tempted to change to the darker green.

What do people think ?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Either looks like a good colour combination, but eventually the lighter colour will show more dirt for the same amount of use. It seems to me that the bags etc that you have made will last for a good long time - from what I have seen in the forum, I dont own one - so if I were in the market for one I would choose the darker colour. Just my opinion though :)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I keep looking at it, I quite like the lighter, but really like the darker. Don't know why I did not pay more attention earlier in the making of the bag.

Theres not a massive cost implication, about £12, but I think at least 2 hours of unpicking and then re doing it.

I won't rush it, maybe think on it over the weekend.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Do one of each?

Do you know what John, that is not a bad idea. It will only cost about an extra £7 for some more of the OG material and it will save me spending hours unpicking it.

It will also give me the chance to fix a couple of small issues with the straps.
1/ They are a touch wide.
2/ The binding was a bit messy on the corners.
3/ I left it to thick where it meets the bag and it really needs to be able to bend a bit more.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Decided to leave it in the end, the bag should be finished in the next few days, will pop up some pictures when it is finished.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Depends on the use.
The lighter colour looks more 'street friendly' and will stand out less when in civilisation.

The green is more 'countryside friendly'.

If it's only a matter of an extra £7 to make two then that seems like the best idea! You'll have one for town and one for country. Perfect.
Looking forward to seeing the finished pack/s.

middlewolf

Feb 12, 2017
Portland, OR
I have started this with the lighter webbing and before I go past the point of no return I am having second thoughts.

I am tempted to change to the darker green.

What do people think ?

I agree on the darker colours for bush gear. Or anything that's handled regularly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it really depends on who is going to use it, and where….Wander's post about street and country seems very sound…and male or female ? too.

As for it getting grubby, well Scotchguard spray is good stuff :D

M

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
If it's not too late and if it's not throwing too much of a spanner in the works, can I suggest another idea?

What about finding webbing that is the same colour (or very close) as the material?
If I'm honest, I find that more tasteful and restrained.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
If it's not too late and if it's not throwing too much of a spanner in the works, can I suggest another idea?

What about finding webbing that is the same colour (or very close) as the material?
If I'm honest, I find that more tasteful and restrained.

That's a whole other can of worms.

Apart from black material / webbing, it is almost impossible to get an exact match (even close ones can be difficult). The photos don't really show
the correct colour of the OG material for some reason, it is closer to the colour of the green webbing than it looks.

I also like the particular pattern of webbing I use, I get it all from the same supplier. This webbing is slightly thinner and I can just bind outer edges with it,
with black I can use Grosgrain ribbon for binding with is much more flexible.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Understandable.

I didn't realise the material was OG. I looks grey in the picture! Mind you, I like grey packs. My usual pack is a grey Wisport Sparrow.
I think it may have to do with the different materials between the pack and the webbing and they have different light reflective qualities which is amplified by the inferior (to the human eye!) light collecting sensor in the camera.
That's how it was explained to me, anyway.

It is difficult to get an exact match, especially as someone else on here pointed out that OG means different things to different people.

If the pack material is OG then OG webbing, even if it is a slightly different shade, would look better for my money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE