Which Camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im thinking of getting new camera, and have narrowed it down to the following:

Canon G16
Panasonic Lumix LX7 with the Leica Lens
Sony Cybershot RX100 with the Zeiss lens
Or the canon sx700 [staggering 30x zoom!]

Are there any other reccomendations of cameras for me to look at, from people who know know more about photography than I do?

[that would be everyone]

Thankyou.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, ive seen all the rave reviews, and even though the worst camera of the lot is probably the canon sx700, according to the reviews, there have been so many occasions when i could have used a pocket sized, 30x zoom, that i think im gonna go for it.
Is that how you choose a camera though?!:confused:

What Id really like, come to think of it, was a camera with a 30x zoom, and a laser range finder combined.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
You may get umpteen suggestions, but your initial choices are up there for what you say you prefer, would like to hear your reviews on whatever you decide buy.

Pocketable, with great 30 zoom, and scenic and ultra close up qualities is on my want list, cannot have it all 'yet', technology is improving all the time.

I hope you enjoy your new camera, posting us a few examples of it at the limit of it's capabilities would be appreciated.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Sure thing. There seems to b a whole section of cameras called the compact superzooms, and the best one, seems to be the Panasonic TZ60 Camera, which has the 30x zoom, but also has a viewfinder, and RAW, and GPS, the leica lens and a built in control ring, which the canon sx700 doesnt have.
So thats at the top of my list now.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Dave
Thats a good compromise IMO based on your claimed level of experience. The built in spirit level is good on them we have a TZ40 at work its very capable in most situations.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave
Thats a good compromise IMO based on your claimed level of experience. The built in spirit level is good on them we have a TZ40 at work its very capable in most situations.

Good. Its reassuring to hear that from one of the forums best photographers. Cheers Alf, most appreciated.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I bought a Sony RX100 (m3) a couple of weeks ago. I used it exclusively on a trip to Norway and I am so happy with the pictures! It's on the expensive side, but worth the money.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I bought a Sony RX100 (m3) a couple of weeks ago. I used it exclusively on a trip to Norway and I am so happy with the pictures! It's on the expensive side, but worth the money.

I wish I knew how to use mine properly, instead of just clicking and shooting.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Have a look at the "Photographer's Guide to the Sony RX100" ( available for the m2, m3 too) by Alexander White. It's an extended manual with many tipps on how to use the different settings and functions of the camera!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The realistic approach is to decide that you will learn to manipulate your camera controls to one new & different thing from what you did yesterday.

Read it, do it. What did that cost? Dick-Twiddly. Mess up a 5x4 color transparency in a view camera on rails is $10 per sheet.
You cannot afford NOT to mess around.
For the price, what stops you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE