Which bug???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glyn

This beastie was spotted flying around the sister-in-law's garden at the weekend (she's in Pontypridd...)
After an impromptu crash landing in a bucket (and some screaming from the sis in law), we fished it out and left it to dry out in the sun.

It's probably a very easy bug to identify, but can someone tell me what it is exactly? It's just over an inch long

Ta

Glyn

There's a few more picture in here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16275392@N03/sets/72157626104589070/

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Madame Manacles and me think it might be a Cockchafer (20-30mm long, lives in woodland margins and hedgerows) but we are not experts and resorted to looking it up in our insect book in the end........

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Cockchafer, Maybug, same thing. I found half of one today, courtesy of a local crow. Top two in your photos are males, because of the antennae. Can't tell on the third one, but maybe a female from the pointy abdomen.

These bugs are great fun, especially to show to kids. You often find them concussed against big windows that they have tried to fly through. Alternatively, if one flies into you, you are the one likely to end up with concussion! I hit one in my car once - thought the car had been shot for a moment - what an impact! Made a right mess on the windscreen too.

But it was worse for the bug...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE