Which Bolete is this....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
28Sept201036.jpg

28Sept201038.jpg

28Sept201037.jpg

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Satan's Bolete maybe? Did you cut through it?
Also did you press down on the underside of the cap to see how it reacted? That can help a lot to I.D. it :)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Maybe chalciporus piperatus Location is spot on.. under birch. Poisonous though... nuts!!!

C. piperatus (peppery bolete) is edible and good. However, I think the mushroom in the opening post is B. pruinatus (matt bolete), regardless of the lack of red pigment on the stem. I'd be interested in hearing what else you think it might me. It's not any of the others suggested so far in this thread - the cap is all wrong.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Even the great Roger Phillips gets the edibility of at least two species wrong (mycena pura and helvella crispa are both now known to be poisonous but listed by Phillips as edible, and I've eaten both of them...). However, I suggest you get rid of Prof. Pegler's book if he thinks peppery boletes are poisonous...

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Iv no experience, so am quite possibly wrong. From the inteweb and my collins gem i dont think its peppery bolete, my best guess and thats all it really is other than matt bolete is yellow cracked bolete. Just trying to practice feel free to ignore me, tell me why im wrong.

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Hi All,
Very interested in the answer to this Q - I picked a couple of these last year to try and ID them, found them on scrub land (old railway sidings) underneath 10 year old (or so) birch trees. Couldn't ID them with the book I had, or on google :(

Thanks for asking OP!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE