Which billie can ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Some advice needed. About to invest in a billie can (cheap is the key word here) so i can move away from my trusty multi-stove and on to a proper fire.

Have found the following billie cans and would like your expert opinions on which one to go for....

1 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Loop-Billie-B...mZ280242083961QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

2 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Nest-Of-B...mZ110254305660QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/TIFFIN-POT-...r_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1215275579&sr=8-3

Thanks in advance :umbrella:

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Should have said, option 1 is for the two tier can only and option 3 was for the 4 tier can only. You get all three cans for option 2.

Thanks

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I personally wouldn't go with the zebra tiffin pots and I don't like aluminium so the others are out also.

I'd be more inclined to go for something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAY-MEARS-BIL...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I know 16cm seems very large but I just fill mine with loads of stuff before packing it... The stainless really does take some abuse and the only real issue is with the bail arm. Easily sorted with a little wire and some brass tube from B&Q (or similar).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The nesting billy cans are perfect. Lightweight, big enough for two people if needed, work well over an open fire or proper stove. These are clones of 'Bulldog' brand, and I've been using this type since I was about 12, I'm now 53, the pans are still working fine.

What multifuel stove are you using out of interest?

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Squidders, hadn't thought about the stainless / aluminium choice. Will need more thought. 16cm isn't too bad as I'll be leaving my stove and fuel bottle thus creating a bit of space (if I'm brave enough that is and don't end up taking the stove, hidden in my new billie can !!!).

Richard, my current stove is a Primus Onmi fuel http://www.basegear.com/primusomnifuel.html If it burns this thing will use it. Has been bomb proof for years and boils a pan of water in about 2 mins. Takes a bit of cleaning if I've used unleaded as the soot gets everywhere but thats the only fault, wouldn't swap it for anything else and would recommend it without worry.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Here's what I meant by modifying the billy can handle - the standard one is a bit irritating.

Wayland-Stove.jpg

Image from: http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/cooking_kit.html

Joe

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
I like the above picture. Now I'm tempted to get two cans and chop one up to make a fireplace, what an excellent idea. Would be ideally suited to the nesting cans but i still like the look of the RM one but at almost 1kg its the same weight as the nesting ones although I'm sure it will last a lot longer.

Still undecided !!!!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey Lostagain,

I’m sure you realise this but I just thought I would highlight what a tiffin pot is, I didn’t want you to waste your money.

Zebra, as I understand it, is an Indian steel manufacturing company. Two of the products you see a lot in the UK are the Billies (http://www.raymears.com/getimg.cfm?img=Stainless_Steel_Billy_Can.jpg) and the Tiffins (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Loop-Billie-B...mZ280242083961QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

The Tiffins are individual bowls (in this link 2, 3 or 4 respectively) designed for transporting and serving preprepared food (lunches in India – Tiffin!). The bowls are held together in a frame with a handle on top. There is one lid for the bowl on top of the stack, the bottom of that bowl forming the lid of the bowl below etc. I’m sure you could take them out of the carrying frame and use the shallow bowls, sitting them in embers to cook in them, but they have no handles or method of support and is not what they’re designed for.

The billies made by Zebra and sold by Mr Mears are also food carriers, but can be used for cooking JUST AS LONG as you remove the PLASTIC clips that are designed to hold the lids on while transporting the rice, curry etc.

I’m sure you realised all that, but I just wanted to make sure. I’ve got both, the Tiffins are great to carry your contribution to a BBQ/party. The Billies are great on a fire.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
.... .. um wind fall burning mini stove very nice, do i see the dish there for the zebra with holes popped in to it. may i enquire as to why?[

That is indeed the inner bowl of the billy can with holes drilled in it.
It's so it can be used for steaming.
That's Waylands set up,
I modified my billy cans the same way. replacing the standard bail with wire makes them so much more convenient to pack.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I (that is, work) have finally got hold of a stainless crimping set; so, before I replace my Zebra handle with wire, why is the existing handle that form ?
A question for those that have done it (Wayland ?): do you lose anything by replacing it with a flexible handle ? Is it any less easy to handle, pour, or suspend ? Do the wires attempt to crush the pot because of the angle ?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the wires don't crush thre pot, it's pretty sturdy.
if anything it makes suspention easier as the pot has less of a tendency to slip to one side in the squared of bail that is fitted as standard.
Pouring is a little more difficult, but a glove or a pot grab (or even a stick) copes with that.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Thanks for all the advice. I'm decided on some nesting billie cans and a trip to Morrisons for a cutlery holder that I can chop up. Pics will be added at a later date of my creation in action. Thanks all for your advice.:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Squidders, hadn't thought about the stainless / aluminium choice. Will need more thought. 16cm isn't too bad as I'll be leaving my stove and fuel bottle thus creating a bit of space (if I'm brave enough that is and don't end up taking the stove, hidden in my new billie can !!!).

Richard, my current stove is a Primus Onmi fuel http://www.basegear.com/primusomnifuel.html If it burns this thing will use it. Has been bomb proof for years and boils a pan of water in about 2 mins. Takes a bit of cleaning if I've used unleaded as the soot gets everywhere but thats the only fault, wouldn't swap it for anything else and would recommend it without worry.

I have a couple of Omnifuels, great stoves, but try not to use petrol, very sooty and the fumes are dangerous to breath in. The Omni burner will mount in a Trangia 25 or 27, the little conversion kit is about £7, well worth the money especially in winter months.

The home made wood burners I've seen from people like John Fenna work very well indeed, but sad to say, I'm too much of a 'stovie' to rely on one as my sole cooking source:eek:

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Richard, I agree with the petrol, it seems i spend longer cleaning the stove than cooking on it. Which fuel do you use?

Having problems getting hold of the recommended fuel (i think it was a white gas - i assume a more refined white spirit kind of stuff) as most shops round here just seem to sell meths or gas canisters.

Lostagain a nest of billies sound very space saving and giving you more choice's at tea time! Glad you started this thread or I would not have see waylands burner. A steamer, cool, are mum tells me it quicker to boil thou. thanks for that Graham.
Waylands sites quite good.... .. Someone once said to me that they used paint thiners as lighter fuel, I wonder if it works in your stove's?

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A question for those that have done it (Wayland ?): do you lose anything by replacing it with a flexible handle ? Is it any less easy to handle, pour, or suspend ? Do the wires attempt to crush the pot because of the angle ?
Before I finally get the Dremel out, a final plea for top tips:
- Is it worth surrounding part of the wire with a curved or straight handle ?
- Is there an optimum/compromise length for storage and suspension ?
- Given that my billy is more often supported than suspended, is there a good way to keep the wire out of the flames (without resorting to a short wire) ?
- Is there a hybrid solution using the horizontal part of the Zebra handle with two wire arms ?
Basically, has anyone had any success with anything other than a short length of wire with two crimped soft eyes ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE