Which Bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lits

Aug 16, 2005
Surrey/ Charterhouse
Hi guys,

I am off on an expedition to Madagascar for a month this summer and have just realised none of my bags are quite big enough for the job. I need a rucksack about 75l, one that i will use when i return back to England. I have been looking at the Karrimor sabre 75- Is it a worthwhile investment?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Can't comment really on bags in that size range, other than to say that I'm not really a fan of alpine bags unless you're doing alpine stuff. The design makes great sense if you're climbing, but is a bit limiting - there's a lot to be said for the compartmentalisation (is that a real word?) and organisation possibilities offered by outside pockets if you're backpacking. There's nothing worse than having to dig all your stuff out for the umpteenth time just to find your toothbrush... And then pack it all back again.

I did a year in Australia with a Vango Sherpa 65. Two big side pockets, a big top pocket, double-entry, cheap as chips... Now I use the Sabre 45, with side pockets if need be. I like pockets, and I don't need to be able to swing an ice axe. ;)

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
You can take a look at Lowe Alpine. I have one that is nine years old and still is in excellent condition (to compare: I unintentionally destroyed a Osprey Aether 60 in 2 weeks...).

I don't know how quality is now...

I hear great things about POD. They are UK designed and build, but there is very little advertising. You can find them on the needlesports website. Don't know about price...

Haglofs are pretty tough too.

For long trekking, the military stuff is best avoided. It is too heavy and the fit and finish is sometimes not very high.

Bjorn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE