whhhhhooooooooooooooopppp hand drill DONE!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
To get an ember with a drill that bent is awesome!

It must have been wobbling around in the hearth like mad?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.......:rofl:

it was going all over the place, but it was still easier than the teasel, probably because it was longer and a little wider....

still lots of work to be done before im proficient at finding the kit and making fire in the wilds.....

i better get twisting the spindle then eh....:):):):)

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
A video of me doing the hand drill in the damp woods! It can be done its just quite hard!

[video=youtube;afRDtiLqiuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afRDtiLqiuQ[/video]

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well, now i have managed to get an ember or 2 i have begun to understand the hand drill allot more, now with this you NEED to keep your hand in or the skin gets soft and blisters will follow...

i managed 2 embers today with the short piece teasel, i have totally got this down now with the foraged dried bits, i know how to get an ember and find it easy now, so time to try different woods, i thought i had some hazel in the garage but no joy, so teasel on willow next i think....:)

pic's to come of the other coals from today as they are on my phone.....after all, it never happened with out the pictures...;)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
From this morning...
5c28fd6e-cfce-5f96.jpg
5c28fd6e-cfe4-e7a1.jpg
5c28fd6e-cff6-a4c3.jpg

& just now...
5c28fd6e-d01e-c731.jpg
5c28fd6e-d034-db0f.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ok another wood has been done, teasel on sycamore....:)

im getting better every day, my hands are nails now 2 embers today 2 embers the day before and 3 embers on friday.....;)

the teasel stalk is very short now, it has warn away quite a bit, but this has made it harder to form a coal, which is good for me....;)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Chris,

My first few hand drill coals were with an unknown stick from my neighbour's rubbish heap. I later worked out it must have been philadelphus. Weaning myself from that one stick was quite a challenge, but I remember I got myself onto a buddliea stick just as the first one was getting too short for me.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
i have been trying this in vein i used teasel but now trying buddlia but just cant get it i think its my hearth boards not right i got smoke tonight but no catch im getting close i know so im not giving up i need to source some better stuff .
wow its hard going to find the right bits but i will get there in the end you made it look so easy on that vid congrats with that, atb wayne

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have been trying this in vein i used teasel but now trying buddlia but just cant get it i think its my hearth boards not right i got smoke tonight but no catch im getting close i know so im not giving up i need to source some better stuff .
wow its hard going to find the right bits but i will get there in the end you made it look so easy on that vid congrats with that, atb wayne

keep with it dude, it has taken me ages to get it, but now i know how to do it, and what to look for when im doing it, its easy, the bits are hard to find though...

but im happy now to try and find the bits in the woods and have a go from scratch, when i get time....:)

stick with it mate...:bigok:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Wayne,

Just a thought, but if your finding that you can just get to smoke with buddliea then using a slightly narrower drill tip just might help you. (But too narrow and you will only get brown powder).

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
keep with it dude, it has taken me ages to get it, but now i know how to do it, and what to look for when im doing it, its easy, the bits are hard to find though...

but im happy now to try and find the bits in the woods and have a go from scratch, when i get time....:)

stick with it mate...:bigok:

thanks for that i know its like anything once you know how to do something it becomes easier its the not knowing but its all a learning curve and i have never given up on anything so watch this space i will crack it,thanks for the encouragement, atb wayne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE