Where to start?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've bought quite a bit of kit really, camping kit mostly, stuff that I will use and have used for years - but i've updated stuff or changed stuff - given my self more options really.

What I would really like to do is back that up with some bushcraft type skills, but I'm not sure where to start really. We have quite a bit of woodland around here, and I would like to start enjoying it a bit more often.

Thoughts? I'm up for just getting out there, but I'm sure I will use the time more constructively if I have things to try out and experiment with.

Greg

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
Sounds like your in exact same situation as me really, I've got plenty of camping and bushcrafty type kit collected over a few years, occasionally give it a go with a bit of bivvying, shelter building or wild camping, bin trying fire by bowdrill lately, no success as yet but have come pretty close.
What I want to work on is get better at tree and plant indentification and what they can all be used for as I'm fairly ignorant in that regard

Mar 25, 2010
Scotland
For now maybe you could just concentrate on some basic skills such as shelter building, fire lighting, or aquiring water. Each time you are out you could practice one method until you aquire the skill then move onto another method and build your skills one step at a time. I think you're wise to plan ahead as your trips are more likely to be constructive.

Do you plan on using a tarp and have you used one before? If not you could maybe begin there by researching different set ups and the knots required then going out and practising until your skills are slick. Very basic but the little things can make a huge difference to how comfortable you are. Flapping around in the wet isn't much fun and the quicker you can put a shelter up the better.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Try going out for a day or two without kit. Try some tracking and enjoy what your senses have to offer. Small steps that will lead to a world that never ends. It's your discovery, enjoy the small stuff, the free stuff. It's the sights and sounds that are free and unexpected that you will enjoy the most and leave you with unforgettable memories.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
make sure you have all the knife and knot skills down pat.

check out a couple of youtube videos for the demonstration, then go out and do them.

I check out the usability of a knife by making snare sets and making spoons.

learning about the flora and fauna you are likely to come across. I'm currently working on this last one.

set up camp and take it down again a few times a day. eventually you'll be able to do it blindfolded.

Making fire in all the ways you can. I've been making a cuppa in the back yard. Started with the cotton wool and vaseline firelighter, and have moved onto just tinder from around the place. stuff I'm likely to come across out and about. Bow drill is next for me.

Good luck

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
It depends on your home life. If you have no wife and kids then you can try almost anything.

I left the Army 4 years ago a month after my first child.

I have been able to do a great deal from home with limited time and resources. In particular;

1) Tree and plant ID. Try it all year round, Winter tree buds are hard to learn.

2) Carving. You don't need to source much wood to have fun making spoons and ladels. Axe, Folding saw/bow saw, Mora knife and Spoon knife.

3) Don't buy any more kit! Seriously, you could spend hundreds of pounds on knives alone. For the same price buy yourself knowledge and enjoyable experience with books and courses.

Hope that helps.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
3) Don't buy any more kit! Seriously, you could spend hundreds of pounds on knives alone. For the same price buy yourself knowledge and enjoyable experience with books and courses.

The kit that I have bought is stuff that I already use often, I've just done a bulk upgrade on most of it - or given my self a few more options. Apart from my new tent, I haven't spent a great deal of money at all. Stuff like picking up a trangia at a carboot for a fiver keeps my costs down.

I think I will go out this afternoon and see about making a snare and perhaps some sort of utensil. That sounds like a decent way to get going.

I have never tried tracking, will have to do a bit of reading on that. Also, Tree and Plant ID is presumably best learnt with a reference book of some sort, so which one?

Keep them coming guys.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The kit that I have bought is stuff that I already use often, I've just done a bulk upgrade on most of it - or given my self a few more options. Apart from my new tent, I haven't spent a great deal of money at all. Stuff like picking up a trangia at a carboot for a fiver keeps my costs down.

Worth keeping an eye out at car boots. Bill hooks, axes etc. Even if you do not want them, I am sure you could find someone here to take it off your hands :)

(I do not need another billhook..... Bright Shiny..... My Precious... Be prepared to get the Bushcraft disease, and you too will have more kit than three people would ever need.:lmao:)

I have never tried tracking, will have to do a bit of reading on that. Also, Tree and Plant ID is presumably best learnt with a reference book of some sort, so which one?

Collins Gem books are small, and good as well.

Also this website
has a lot of Scouting books for free. Worth a look because I learned my basic trees etc from this. Good for knots, and other stuff as well.

Depending on what is nearby, worth a look at places open to the public. Some parks etc have tree talks etc, and some country houses do animal walks.

Forgot, start carrying a camera. If you see a tree, animal track, plant, and have no idea what it is. Snap and few pictures, look it up at home, or post it here.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2010
Scotland
Just as Minotaur suggested I take a camera and tape measure out with me when I'm out and about. That way you can photograph plants, trees and animal tracks that you encounter and id them at home if you can't do so in the field. I carry my camera so it is accessible at all times. Often I'll take photographs on my way in and out of my chosen camp site as well as going on scouting expeditions to look for things when I have my camp set up. Slow down, enjoy being out and become more aware of your surroundings. You will tune in naturally and before long you'll be spotting things that you would never have noticed before.

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
went out today and spent a couple of hours walking and knocked up a spatchula type affair, took a while, I was quite pleased with it for a first go - never done any wood work before. Left it behind so maybe someone will find it.

I'm extremely glad I took a hatchet, I think it would have been much more difficult otherwise.

I enjoyed my self. I did think about trying a fire, but decided against it due to location. Going some where bigger and more out of the way next time. Will be out again wednesday if the weather holds. Definitely want to look into tree and plant recognition and uses.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
Planning to go out again on wednesday, just sat here and thought I might try a few knots. I remember doing this YEARS ago and struggling with the instructions, but I'm so glad I decided to have another go!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE