Where to go in northern England

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 20, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm new to bush craft but i'm looking to plan a small trip to learn. I would like to travel to dartmoor and eventually and spend some time there but i live near leeds so that is quite a distance. Any advice on where I can go where I won't meet people?

As for other aspects of being new to bushcraft, yes don't worry, I am doing plenty of reading and I will make sure I am not in a situation where i can't easily get help if it is needed

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
If there's anything I've learned it's that you don't have to go far to learn bushcraft. Often beginners (myself included) get carried away in the early days and want to go into a quiet woodland and immediately start building a shelter and a fire and other unneccessary things. Firecraft and shelter building are of course valuable skills (and very fun) but you can play around with these at a later date, perhaps on private land with permission.

I would advise you buy a map of your local area and look to see what is available to you immediately, and go out every evening/weekend and see what you can find. I discovered a brook running through the town I live in which is surrounded by a very small urban woodland, and by spending time there I discovered my love of foraging. I know which trees grow there, which mushrooms are growing at different times of year and which of the plants I can eat, and I spent hours just watching the wildlife. I've lived here for around 5 years and I didn't even know it was there! I have however spent an absolute fortune on books! :lmao: Once I'd learned about the things on my doorstep I ventured out further and walked the canals in my area learning more and more as I went along, eventually going out into Wales, the Lakes, and beyond. Strangely enough some of the best woodland I've been to has been in or near to populated areas!

So you don't need to go wild camping to begin with, build a good knowledge base and your natural curiosity will lead you further afield. Start small though, acorns and oaks and all that! Also there is only so much you can learn from a book or video, getting away from people (although pleasant) isn't what you should be doing. Get involved and meet like minded people in your area, you will learn a great deal from them and I bet they would be glad to pass their knowledge on to a beginner such as yourself.

All the best,

W

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Couldn't have put it better myself wacker. You might even find things you thought would be fun you dislike, I find shelter building for example intolerably dull, although a vital skill and one that I do have.
You'll find having a day out with others will teach you much more than a book. In my experience even the most novice of bushcrafter will teach you more than the most comprehensive book because a person has worked out their own easier method. No matter what experience level anyone here is we are all learning.
Even a day out just brewing up to begin with is valuable, have a look around for woods and seek permission

Sep 20, 2015
United Kingdom
I went for a walk today to look at the only reasonably sized woodland i could see from the top of the valley. It is small and i continue to look for other places but how can i find out who owns it? There don't seem to be any buildings nearby, just fields.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE