Where to get wood from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Well...I live in the suburbs, Had a storage of wood but it all got thrown out :(
So heres my question:
Where can I get wood from...I can't go out to woodland and harvest it so does anyone have any recommendation
I want the wood for knife scales and carving!

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Some woods can be got off ebay, often the best stuff is cut up in to darn penblanks though.
Yandles - http://www.yandles.co.uk/ does quite a selection of turning blanks which can be used, they often are missing pictures from the website though.
Theres a lady called Jean on British blades who stocks a shed load of knife scales at good prices - http://www.knifescales.co.uk I think.
Also if you keep an eye out in the dealer sales or kit sales section of british blades theres often some going.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Your local authority parks and open spaces department would be a good place to start, or their approved tree work contractors. With most urban tree works the cut wood is taken and chipped, so if you ask nicely they might save some for you.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
All of the above plus your local timber yard might sort you out with some.

Try old bits of furniture that folks chuck out, might find some exotics, or Beech, Birch ect.

You could dye more common woods to jazz them up a bit.

If a large tree job has been completed by tree surgeons nearby, have a close look around as most of this type of work is done as a result of fungal decay, which also makes nice patterns in the wood. Some wood may have been cast to one side during the clean up.

Some fruit woods are nice too so keep an eye out for cherries, plums ect in friends gardens and offer to prune a low branch back to a growth point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE