Where to get rucksack repaired?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My rucksack has started to come apart at a seam on the shoulder strap. It's a maxpedition bag with lifetime guarentee but for a small repair it will probably work out cheaper to get a local repair done than send it to the US to claim on the warranty.

I tried the only person I know who does needlework and it's beyond their skill (so I imagine I wouldn't be able to do it either). Now I've no idea where to go to get the repair done.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm sure it would be cheaper to do the repair yourself (or have done locally) but would that void the warranty?

If you do decide to go ahead locally then don't use an ordinary seamstress or tailor as you've already found it's likely beyond their ability. Instead ask either a saddler or an upholsterer; they will likely have a more heavy duty sewing machine and experience. If you can find a parachute rigger they will also have the ability.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm hoping it won't void the warranty. It was maxped's customer service that suggested that option so I'd hope so. A good point though, I'll have to get them to confirm it's ok.

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
I can recommend here: www.tundra-repairs.co.uk
No connection etc..
It's not cheap but they do a good job. They're used by lots of companies who get stuff embroidered onto Gore-tex. These guys open up the jackets to seal the embroidery on the inside before putting it back together again. You'd never know it had been taken apart!
Duncan

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Hi, I could do it for you but live in Kent. However a friend of mine works on the south coast of Wales making and repairing boat covers,
he could do it for you. Just joined so dont know if I can send pm to get phone no/email. But depends where you are ,try looking up sailmakers
or shoe menders anyone who has an industrial machine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Lets have a photo of the damage - it is possible that I might be able to help ...depending on what the damage is and exactly where....

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
It says on the Maxpedition website that international warranty claims should be done via the local authorised dealer (assuming that was the source). I assume that you have contacted them if appropriate? I believe UK law puts the responsibility in honouring the warranty on the retailer, it is them you had the contract with not Maxpedition.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=88 paragraph 6, last sentence
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=48 is dealers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE