Where to get parang scandi ground . . .?

Hello all

I've recently purchased a duku candong style parang from america - of all places. As you can imagine, its bloody heavy! Of all the parangs I've ever owned its the heaviest. However, I quite like it bar one thing . . . . the blade is full convex ground.

I could grind it myself to scandi standards using several files and a week's worth of elbow grease but I'm getting rather lazy at doing all that. So was wondering if anyone knew of any blacksmiths or similar that can perform good quality scandi grinding - and who are situated in east london somewhere? Or nearby?

Sure would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Luke

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Hmm. A blade that's Skandi ground can be ground to full convex, but a full convex to skandi? That would mean adding metal to the blade if i'm not mistaken. Are you sure?

Hiya dazcon
Sorry for delay in replying. Think you've got it wrong way round . . . full convex is curving into a point whereby scandi is a straight 'flat' grind with one bevel edge set far back (depending on angle). thus I'm hoping to get this blasted convex edge ground down to a flat edge. I'll lose a bit of metal doing it but that's ok, its a large blade. As I say, I could do it by hand with some files but I'm just being too lazy as it would take a lot of elbow grease and so was hoping to get it done by someone who had the right tools. Any thoughts?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Why would you want a scandi grind on a chopping/slashing tool? You will damage the edge. Convex grinds are the grinds for chopping as there is more metal behind the edge, thus giving a stronger edge, plus a convex wont stick in the cut whereas a scandi will. Easiest grind to sharpen too.

Whats your problem with the convex? :)

Last edited:

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Why would you want a scandi grind on a chopping/slashing tool? You will damage the edge. Convex grinds are the grinds for chopping. Easiest grind to sharpen too.

Whats your problem with the convex? :)
What he said totally agree..!

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Scandi grind won't get damaged it is ground to the right angle, I would guess that 30deg would be OK but it depends on the state of the steel you have. Actually a scandi is stronger than a convex if you are comparing the angle at the edge. Whilst I would agree that it is easier to get a convex grind sharp again, to actually maintain the profile is very, very hard. Much easier to keep a flat scandi grind flat. On Balance I would keep the convex or at least try it out, but nothing wrong with a scandi grind if that is what you want, keep it realatively short though or you will lose a lot of width on the blade.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd stick with the convex for a bit, give it a chance. It's designed that way for good reason. As pointed out above, a Scandi type grind will stick in a cut, the best axes are convex ground.

Personally, unless whittling, I'd go convex on any knife. And they're easier to keep sharp.

If the one you have is badly dulled then it would be worth you sending it off to the man who can slice a standing Rizla paper in two. Blue one too ;)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
A convex can be as sharp as any Skandi grind, you just have to be a better sharpener,
And as said by mark, especially in a chopping tool like this you'd like the convex as it gives the outer edge of your blade much more support making it more stable, which will stop the edge from chipping, rolling and all other unpleasantries.
So I'd stick with convex. Also a convex edge will retain its sharpness longer than a skandi edge would especially in a tool like that.

Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE