Where in knoydart

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I'm looking for an area of forest, that's remote and by the sea, on knoydart. Remote as well. A few bits of forest on the map, but you never know if they are 1ft high or 100ft. I was thinking the north shore of upper loch nevis, 2km south of beinn bhuide, anyone been thier? Loch hourn south shore also looked interesting.

I'm going up to knoydart for a couple of weeks and want a great place to spend a while.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
I ran survival training on Knoydardt when I was in the army. I seem to remember that the woods were mature. Iaian Flemming used to have a set up there called Highland Survival You could try to Google that. Or ring the Old Forge pup and ask there. I'll dig out some numbers for you when I get back from Belize.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Wandered that coast south of Loch Nevis a month back and looked across, not big trees small oaks, alder and birch. More mature areas on the south side of Loch Hourn though, but steep ground and very very hard going. Ticks and midges in abundance, 7 foot high bracken etc. Wildlife in abundance. Otters, eagles and porpoises. Good luck.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think you would be scratching to find much in the way of mature woodland, I have walked a lot in that area. I think you may have to cut your coat according to your cloth. Its a fabulous area for wildlife, wild country and great beauty - that all comes at a price. Its hard work, getting there, finding good firewood, getting that alight - but that said it is worth it.
Good luck, have fun
Neil

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Its also pretty steep. Sorry, this is the best I can do, picture-wise. I was up there a few years back on a canoe expedition with Jed of Truenorth Outdoors. We had a great time, but firewood was in short supply and mostly it was pretty wet.

DSC_2539.jpg

The little rocky islands just offshore from the woodland were home to a couple of seals.

DSC_2500.jpg

Lovely area, but not what I would call forested.

Gailainne

Life Member
I have to agree the area is very beautiful, but it isnt for hammockers, or even tents, bivis would be best I think.

BTW If your going, think midge protection, multiple layers.
Looking toward Skye and the Cullin mountains across Loch Nevis from Tarbet
TarbetbaylookingtowardSkye.jpg

Stephen

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
What about if you settle for a few days in a "piece of forest" that is mature. Lets say you find a nice secluded piece..., is it likely that it will provide you with firewood for a few week? We are talking dead wood of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE