Where do you get your wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
I know, it sounds like a stupid question (and a double entendre). But other than from a tree, if you are looking for carving wood, where do you go? Do timber merchants sell different woods, or is it only pine?

And on another note, what is the best wood for a beginner to use? So far I've only made two spoons, from dried pine I got from B&Q.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Try looking along hedges as well as in your local woods for branches that have been broken off.

Also keep an eye out for tree surgeons, they're usually happy for you to take a few bits for carving

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I get mine on an opportunity basis from windfalls and tree surgeons in our area, or at a push, I'll prune a branch from something in the garden.
Willow, poplar and birch I find to be easy to carve - very different to kiln dried timber from a supplier.
If you have/or can get access to land, be sure to ask if you can take the odd willow/hazel/whatever branh on the proviso that you'll seed/plant something else in its place - most farmers around me wouldn't even notice, though I'm lucky to enjoy as much access as I can handle.

ATB

Ogri the trog

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I know, it sounds like a stupid question (and a double entendre). But other than from a tree, if you are looking for carving wood, where do you go? Do timber merchants sell different woods, or is it only pine?

And on another note, what is the best wood for a beginner to use? So far I've only made two spoons, from dried pine I got from B&Q.

First off, seeing your location are you the taxman? Actually I can't see the taxman carving wood spoons.

1 local tree surgeons
2 council parks and gardens departments, National Trust etc.
Both are cutting wood every day and the bits you want (less than 4" diameter) go through the chipper. Any freshly felled (green) wood will be nicer to carve than your dry pine but willow, poplar, alder, lime, birch are good for starting on.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
All the above for me really,..

i,m the proverbial skip rat when it comes to wood,..

i'll pick anything up,..

from an old oak desk from work once!

to a bit of somethin on the floor in the woods,...

even if you dont know what your looking for ,...

i picked up a bit of summat last night , .....

Ash i think,..so i ran it thru the band saw and found the most glorious spalting in it,..

it was like treasure to me!!, ha ha sad i know but,...:togo:

i can confirm now, my next handling project will be fashioned from spalted ash...:)

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
Thanks everyone, I did find a nice piece of birch yesterday, but it was riddled with bugs.

First off, seeing your location are you the taxman?

The taxman and me are not friends. For some reason he keeps sending me tax returns to fill, usually in the same post as my P60. "Here is how much tax you have paid this year, now please tell us how much tax you have paid this year.":banghead::AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ive only ever talked to guys ive seen working, but i suppose you could try the yellow pages and give em a ring, I would think as long as they dont have to go out of there way for you to get some wood it shouldnt be a problem, One chap near forres used to used to text me where he was working so i could go and see if there was anything i wanted out of his cuttings pile, nice guy,

I also look about the floor of woods\hedges\skip at the tip anywhere really just keep a eye out,

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
My problem when I'm working, is when I leave some wood somewhere for a few minutes its normally gone. Damm those log fairies!!
Left a 20' long 2' dia section of Beech in an out of the way spot overnight and it was nicked during the dark. Clever those Fairies, well the ones with massive HIAB's and no bloomin morels, stuffed up a demo that a charity were using it for the following day, so they left and didn't bother.

Anyway, just ask a chap with a saw nicely and thou shall normally receive.

jimcam

Oct 8, 2010
Hamilton
You could also keep your eye open for Treefellers,as I'm sure they would give you a big chunk of it.(Less for them to load).Jim.(Night Owl).

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I know, it sounds like a stupid question

We don't really have any problems finding green wood in most of Canada but specialty wood is available through places like LeeValley Tools and other merchants .
A friend of mine from England (living here in Canada) made some beautiful kitchen cabinets from oak recycled from hardwood pallets .

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
woodcutting013.jpg

Out our back door is nothing BUT wood...
Made myself a nice wee bench for coffee break time...

woodcutting016.jpg

kasakaa

Jun 23, 2010
England
for anyone in the South West, Westonbirt Arboretum do wood sales every month. Variety of woods in a variety of shapes and sizes! What they have depends on what they have cut down recently during the management of the Arboretum. Well worth a look to pick up some quality timber for a right bargain! The guys tehre are really helpful too.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
What are the limitations of newly cut wood from tree surgeons, or the arboretum even? I gather from the previous posts that for carving and such its OK, but what about knife scales e.g? would it need treating or drying (seasoning?) before being any use?

thanks

tel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE