Where do you get the materials for making a Knife Handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 14, 2007
Locks Heath, Hampshire
In all fairness, this is a fairly self explanatory question which displays my lack of experience. Having sourced a decent blade...the next step is the handle. rapidboy's online article was brilliant...but keen now to find such things as wood, mosaic pins, liners etc...

T :confused thanks for your help.

Ed

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
eplane said:
In all fairness, this is a fairly self explanatory question which displays my lack of experience. Having sourced a decent blade...the next step is the handle. rapidboy's online article was brilliant...but keen now to find such things as wood, mosaic pins, liners etc...

T :confused thanks for your help.

Ed

Ask EnglishRose.:)

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
Wood working shops will stock turning blanks in various dimensions that you can cut up as you see fit. A good shop might even be prepared to cut it for you.This can work out being quite economical if you want to do several knives (or other projects) in the same wood, less so if you want to experiment with different types as you'll have a lot of left overs. Also try timber merchants; substantial off-cuts of planks and boards can be had very cheap. And check out suppliers of solid hardwood flooring for free samples :)

Good luck!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
How about your local woods....Find some standing deadwood from your choice of tree and cut, or split it down to size, making sure its not rotten of course..you would feel more proud of your knife if you did this, rather than buying some scales...

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Jon Pickett said:
How about your local woods....Find some standing deadwood from your choice of tree and cut, or split it down to size, making sure its not rotten of course..you would feel more proud of your knife if you did this, rather than buying some scales...
Nice idea Jon... I agree.

Give me a shout with some dimensions Ed, when you are sorted with the wood, and I'll sort you some fittings :)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I got some scales from a local furniture maker. Also got lined up: some exotic very-hardwood my neighbour found as a fencepost, and some cherry from the tree in the garden.

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
heads up for any Brisa fans. if you want to see any of his stock in the flesh Dennis will be in Bristol on 13th May with a selection of his stock for sale.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Scrounge a "sample" of hardwood flooring to try out the colours ;)
Even better, get the missus to do it cos for some reason they are more convincing.

Thats Oak, Wallnut, Maple, Ash, Beech, Birch, Cherry, Merbau and Birch sorted then :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE