Where did it all start for you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What was your starting point in Bushcraft

• Cubs/Brownies/Scouts

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • Military

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 101 74.3%

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Remember those Bothwell Castle woods Chainsaw mentioned? Well I took my first steps there :D I live about ten minutes away from there now :cool:

There just always were woods and hedges, and burns and boats, and tents and fires about. We grew up with mothers' voices ringing in our ears, "Outside and play!" "Home by dark." and "Don't bring that into the house!" and "What *have* you been eating?", "That burn's dirty, you'll get typhoid, get you out of there!".....and pretty much otherwise we got left to our own devices. (waited to see what typhoid actually *was* sometimes too :confused: :rolleyes: )
We built dens, stripped willows and thistles, lit fires, scrambled over bings, climbed trees and dug holes, watched birds build nests and caterpilars turn into cocoons and butterflies and frog spawn into tadpoles that grew legs and escaped, caught bees in jamjars and sometimes got stung, and got sunburned and soaking wet, skint knees and skelfs. Our games changed as the Seasons did, and our food did too.
Every wee boy had a pocket knife, little girls really did make mud pies :) most kids had access to an air rifle, fishing rods and nets, most of us had bows and arrows, and we shot at each other :eek: I've got a scar from where my creative wee brother's copper pipe, flattened and pointed arrowhead, stuck in my ribs, :rolleyes: ......see childhood? it wasn't romanticised..... and we got skelped and yelled at, and no there wasn't therapy for every pseudo traumatic, unfair, event, it was just called Life, and I sometimes have a horrible feeling that we deprive our children of so much by our very carefulness.
But we did know right from wrong, we did know to say, "No", and mean it, to be helpful if asked, and that craiking for something meant you wouldn't get it; just on general principles, you understand.

I didn't know my pastimes were bushcraft until I tripped across this forum (got teased at the first Scottish meet up when I asked "Who is this Ray Mears then?" :eek: )
I grew up in a family where everyone and their friends made things, and that has continued with the friends I've made too. My Father built boats, my Mother and her sister and cousins just made *everything*, my Grandpa had three workshops and all my uncles had at least one, and my Grandmother knew *everything* and the gardens always grew for her :D
We used the natural resources around us, working through the Seasons because if you didn't the stuff wouldn't be there later on. From the first hawthorn leaves through elderflowers and strawberries and rasps and rhubarb and currants and rosehips and brambles, from *fresh* eggs to *new* potatoes :) and milk with cream that changed colour through the year from yellow to snow white.
Now I find the things people on the forum make are just as fascinating, and I've learned uses for everyday plants and materials I'd never have considered, and I keep learning more :You_Rock_ New ideas, different ways of making stuff, fresh uses for old favourites.

Remember those woods? .....they were the Castle Policies when I was little, and the keepers kept folks out unless you were known to them; ( my dad had gone to school with them) nowadays like the rest of Scotland we are all allowed to wander under the responsible right of access :D
I watched two wee boys a couple of weeks ago damning one of the little burns in those woods with mud and sticks, but the burn filled it up too quickly and washed their damn away....so they went to find bigger sticks ;)

Somethings don't change that much :D

cheers,
Toddy

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I got started in the Cubs, went all the way thought to Rovers and even became an assistant scout leader... wow that’s a long time ago... :Wow:

My first interest in Bushcraft came about by accident, I found a copy of Lofty Wiseman’s survival handbook in the local bookshop back in the 80's and watching Les Hiddens on TV and have been interested ever since, Then I joined the Military, it wasn't until I saw one of Rays series that I really got interested in the non-military aspects of Bushcraft, before that I was still serving and was more interested in the combat survival type thing... it's a change I am happy to make. :D

Cheers,

Karl

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
depends on what you class as bushcraft, if you class bushcraft as living off the land. hunting, shooting, fishing, and preperation ,preservation and eating all you catch,collecting and preserving all edible food for free,and growing as mutch of your own food as possible,learning seasons and whats available, plant life, fur and feather, which i class as bushcraft, not popping off to the woods for a weekend,ive been like it all my life

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
For me it was my dad, for as long as i can remember we wold go collecting whatever was in season at the time.He taught me to fish and prepare all sorts of game. Then i joined mountain rescue which got me into camping.

Mang

Settler
Mine is a mixture of living in Skegness as a kid (mahoosive sand dunes and mut flats leading to Gibralter Point nature reserve), being a full on Cub and Scout, hearing about Eddie McGee on the radio tracking a criminal then watching a series he did on TV.

Latterly joining the RSPB, doing a Wildlife Trust stint , being an asst Cub Leader and wanting to share stuff with the (and my) kids and the Mears effect kicking in...

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I lived in east yorkshire as a lad and we had a huge open pasture area just outside of town. Beverley Race course fits a a small corner and there is a 18 hole golf culb lost over the other side. Whilst I did go up there often I really did not "use" it. Bit like londers not seeing the sights. As an RAF apprebtice we did a fair bit of outward bound and While the kit was useless and heavy ( soldier 95 was before my time).

I did a bit of lightweight private camping while in germany. It was not until the kids came along I really got back into it in a big way and now as they have grown up its more for myself.

Mabinogion

Dec 23, 2008
Carmarthenshire
i've always been interested in knives and the outdoors, so two years ago my school took a few of us on survival/bushcraft course every Thursday (see school isn't that bad), so i jumped at the chance. found out that my two favorite things went hand in hand and carried on from there :)

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Scouts for me our troop were always camping and lighting fires, just like the cub pack I now run, followed by spending a lot of time travelling and living under canvas in the 80's and into the 90's. I'm always looking for other ways of doing things so it seemed to be a natural progression, or a very slippery slope !

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
spent alot of time outside when a kid living in Amesbury Wiltshire, then the Army took me around the world and let play in jungles, deserts and salisbury plain and gave me a lot of usefull skills. but it was the Ray Mears TV programmes that sparked my iterest in "Bushcraft" as a subject and attending the fundamental BC course and meeting the chap himself which put me firmly on this path, I get excited like a child on christmas eve every time i learn something new. I look forward meeting other people on the same journey.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
For me it started in the very early 60s with my first ever trip out with my grandad and his shotgun. Much of what we term as bushcraft then was just everyday country life skills for the local farm workers and outdoors people such as ghillies and gamekeepers, not to mention the local poachers. I grew up with these type of people and then was mesmerised by Jack Hargreaves. When I joined the army I was lucky enough to go on a Lofty Wiseman course which added the more military side of things to what I knew, and have enjoyed the wilds ever since. I had to give up a lot of it for quite a number of years through illness and have only fairly recently got back into it in any serious fashion. I love the living outdoors side of things but I have never really been able to do much of the making side of things. However slowly and surely I'm having a go at simple things at the moment, mostly inspired by what folks on here create. I often think we need to have a childlike imagination like we had as kids in order to see the potential in what's lying around us, just like when we were small, playing in the woods we seemed to see ideas for things which have long since left me in this modern era.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I voted "other"

What started it all off for me was reading a comic called Fireball (featuring Warlord).

It was a boys adventure type comic, but at one stage they did a few articles on survival and gave an idea how to put together a survival tin in a biscuit tin from things laying around the house.

That got me started and I was soon off in the woods practicing building shelters etc.

Never looked back

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Among other things, (like spending as much of my childhood as I could outdoors) - I'd like to acknowledge Jack Hargreaves' role in getting me into the outdoors.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Cub Scouts for me, got me into the fire bug for one, bit of camping and running around our local woodland.
i've grown up and suddenly started airsofting and getting into the woods more now i'm off adventuring.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I realy started getting interested in the outdoors during scouts. while I was a cub, our group didn't have a proper scout leader, and the cub leader was (and still is) relitively elderly, and so camps where few and far between (I went on one during my whole time there, and that was sleeping in a cub/scout hut in barton-on-sea).

soon after I was invested as a scout I went on my first proper camp (at wilverly enclosure irrc) and LOVED IT! shortly before this I had encountered the other influence that put me on the road to bushcraft, a lovely copy of "the sas survival guide" by lofty wiseman. this started it all off, unfortuenately the book also started me on a concentrated period of "army mania" which means even now a lot of my gear is embarrisingly cammoflage, or army style where civilian gear would probably work better. Our cub group have now got more adventurous, and go on far more camps with the group (in dorms ect) and even once stayed in tents :eek: lucky guys (and girls)

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
When I was very small, my great grandfather used to eat stuff that would make a billy goat gag like sheeps brains, but he also knew about wild plants and was keen in the garden, so he would tell about me all sorts of things you could eat. Sadly as I was too young and I didn't really take it all in. But he always inspired me to have the ambition of being able to just wander across the countryside with only a knife, Pipe dream I know, but it never left me. Sadly, I had no grandparents alive so later, my dad would take me out shooting from about 8 yrs old and then it was the Cubs and Air Cadets, before joining up. Now I want to pass on my enthusiasm to my kids. My teenage daughter prefers baking (no bad thing) but my son has been bitten. Dave Nott's Surefire Bushcraft course helped a lot too, my son really enjoyed it (me too) ����������

Oh yes, and watching Bush Tucker man! HE FECKIN ROCKS! Why doesn't the OS print useful survival tips on the back of maps too?

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I ticked "Other". For me it was a combination of my neighbour and work stress. My neighbour was into camping and always said how good it was to leave society behind for a few days and just relax he said it was a great stress reliever. One Friday night he saw me coming home from work ready to kill anyone who looked at me wrong and he said I should get away for the weekend. A couple of hours later he came round with his spare kit and said he called his friend to ask if I could camp on his land and it started from there.

Yes I was cold, yes I got wet, It took a Bic to light the fire, it took hours to get the tarp shelter up.... But I'll tell you what that was the best weekend ever.:D

And I was hooked.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Reading Enid Blyton did it for me.....kids run away to island and live rough to escape evil step mother...forget title....
Then it was "Survival for Young People by A Greenbank...brill book!

Ah John, the secret island, that brings back fond memories of my youth!

I guess books like these and having the freedom to run round local woodland started off my interest and my journey.
I'm just sad I never really started taking learning skills seriously until later in life but the experience in the woods still taught me a lot more than many know today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE