Where can I get Silnylon tarp...cheap?

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Im going to be sleeping in a 1 man tent, but I would like to have my gear under some sort of shelter next to the tent, puerly to keep it dry and for space purposes.

Please help :D or give me some suggestions.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ask Unsponsored if he has any ready, if you look in the Makers Market you'll see the sort of stuff he makes.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wrap it in a dustbin liner and keep it outside?

Much cheaper and lighter:)

A ripstop poncho will do the same as a tarp, but provide a double use.

Unsponsored on here makes and sells silnylon tarps too if you want a dedicated, lightweight tarp.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Why not just use a 3mx3m dd tarp(very cheap) and a bivi bag and ditch the tent altogether ,you will have enough room for you and all your kit ,just a thought

Jason

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Shewie and myself have already suggested that one to you mate :lmao:

Its an unsponsored tarp, hes a member on here :)

Yeah I just had a nose at his profile, thats where I have the pic from. PM'ed him!

Also had a look at the ripstop ponchos, thats a cool option. Lots of uses too.

And I cant ditch the tent unfortunatley, im off to Asutria/Germany (alps) Collllddd!!! :D

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Whats cheap to you? You can pick up a silnylon ponchotarp from golite for about 50 quid. Packs down to less than 1 litre, weighs bugger all, multi use to boot.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There is a guy on outdoorsmagic who is selling a micro tarp weighing 115g and about 1.6m x 1. something metres for £30/35. Sorry for advertising another forum but is sounds kinda like it would fit your needs!! Although unsponsored is also a good idea. heard good things about his kit, he might even make something to your requirements too.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
There is a guy on outdoorsmagic who is selling a micro tarp weighing 115g and about 1.6m x 1. something metres for £30/35. Sorry for advertising another forum but is sounds kinda like it would fit your needs!! Although unsponsored is also a good idea. heard good things about his kit, he might even make something to your requirements too.

Yep, that's unsponsored too.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Silnylon, while lighter, is about twice the price of a PU coated tarp. I rather like Teepee's suggestion of a bin bag - free and waterproof also packs away to nothing or can be a waterproof rucksack liner. Can also be an emergency bivvy. You should also heed Spoony's suggestion of having an emergency orange/reflective bag. You need that just in case you get caught out in the snow and can't pitch your tent(which is not free standing) or find someone else in a predicament.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Several tutorials on Youtube about making Silnylon from lightweight nylon. clear builders silicone and odourless mineral spirits.
One HERE but there's plenty info about for making it.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Is weight a problem? Because the British Army shelter sheet is silnylon, built like a brick outhouse and can be found for under £20 on ebay or most surplus stores, especially the Desert DPM.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is weight a problem? Because the British Army shelter sheet is silnylon, built like a brick outhouse and can be found for under £20 on ebay or most surplus stores, especially the Desert DPM.

I think the MOD ones are PU coated rather than sil impregnated

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE