Where can i get pine pitch from?

Aug 31, 2010
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

This is my first post on the forum so wish me luck.

I am not much of a survivalist or someone who knows anything about bushcraft, but i am rather interested in making natural adhesives (Please see video below) to repair old daggers and swords i have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW93Q8DYXnk

I have been trying for quite some time to find somewhere i can purchase pine pitch, can any one help me on my quest. I live in very much an urban area and do not get suffciient time to go and try to tap a pine tree so purchasing it would be my only real option.

Any help would really be appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oooops, Sorry, just cross posted with BR.

Rosin is just the cleaned up pine resin.
Pitch is the resin mixed with (usually) finely ground charcoal and a little bit of beeswax.

What you want the pitch for determines what you add to the resin.
If you don't want it too brittle, add the beeswax. If you want something that will melt finely and stick really well then the finer the charcoal the better. Somefolks use really well dried rabbit dropping or dottle from sheep.
If you want a really runny, sticky stuff for small spaces that won't see much flexing, then keep the resin quantity high compared to the rest.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I'm confused - I thought pitch from pine was made by heating the pine wood up (especially roots) and condensing the gases that were forced off; as shown in RMs scandi knife making vid.

Z

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The fellow I saw using them said he used them because they crumbled to fine powder. He said it was simpler than making and grinding charcoal. I reckon both are just there to stop the resin shattering when it's spread in a fine layer, and, it stops it being sticky.
I like the effect that the charcoal gives though, it can almost be polished up like jet :) and it's a very smart contrast next to bone, or timber.

cheers,
Toddy
The beeswax does help, but it needs tiny quantities, too much and it stays sticky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE