where can i get one of these in the uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i've just been looking at Mayflys great post from the woodsmoke course, and in the photos is a tripod -type frying pan thing - a murikka(???)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=330072
i've tried googling 'murikka', but no luck - not sure if it's spelt right, or if it has another name
if anyone knows and can point me in the right direction, that'll be great - i can just imagine cooking my fry-up on one on a chilly morning!
thanks

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
We used a similar thing on a Woodlore course http://www.bushcraftuk.com/reviews/courses/woodlore-introduction-bushcraft-course_2.html. I'm not very well up on farming machinery, but they told me that these were made from the disks from a plough or harrow or something similar, with three legs welded on - so if you spot a bit of dilapidated farm machinery in a field you might be able to cadge some bits to make one.

An Indian tava might also do the trick, with some legs welded onto it. The metal on a wok is probably a bit thin.

Geoff

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
thanks everyone - the nordic outdoor link is the cheapest at £39 - more expensive than i was expecting, so now i'm wondering if i could make one myself from a SS sheet?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yes, the correct spelling is 'Muurikka' and two versions are available from Nordic Outdoor. The Muurikka 48 is just short of £40 but they also do a picnic version for £29.95. Simon Ellar did a review of both of them on pages 50 & 51 of issue 9 of 'Bushcraft and Survival skills' magazine. Good gear by all accounts.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
how heavy are the tripod ones?

the folding one looks like a good piece of kit, big issue for me is weight. how does a cast iron pan compare? i was actually thinking of taking one with me next time, concerned about the weight though

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
you could buy a huge wok and weld legs on... though the tentipi ones are really well made, I would say over time, the investment would make its self worth while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE