Where can I get a Western style canteen?

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Anyone know where I can get a decent quality western style canteen like this please

image.jpg1_zps9cwhrpxv.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used an old US Article flask. Doesn't look truly authentic but its twin wall insulated and is, in effect, a Thermos. Ice cold lemonade on a hot day from my flask makes a nice change

Flask 2 by British Red, on Flickr

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They pop up in surplus shops from time to time, can't find any now in the UK

Try putting US Army Artic Canteen in EBay :)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Thanks Folks!

Corso, I ahd already found the one you linked to, but they get bad reviews on Amazon.....

Thanks for sharing though...

Paul

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I did try it and seem to recall it was fine for a few hours. It was a long time ago though.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-U...-amp-CUP-/311270724607?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I think the design was to stop water freezing rather than using it as a 'Thermos Flask'...a bugger to clean if you filled it with hot chocolate lol.

I was thinking the same thing Rik (although I was thinking more along the lines of black coffee); that's why I asked.

I vaguely remember seeing a German one in the GI kidney shape that was advertised for hot drinks but I don't remember just where.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never had any trouble çleaning mine. There is a large rubber bung in the neck into which the stopper pushes. You can remove that bung and have an opening about an inch wide that is more than wide enough to pour a kettle of water into to slosh around and clean out any contents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE