Where can I get a Foldable Pocket Cooker in the uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I don't get it? It weighs best part of a kilo, the hinges warp and eventually break .

Really?, ive used mine for a long long time and the only thing ive had to replace is the tiny little retaining ring on the side plates and that is gods honest truth the only problem ive had with it.

It's all about choice Bob and not being dictated to by retailers as to which product is "better"

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have just sent off a request to a distributor in the States asking if they will ship a few over for me.
Hope I'm lucky.

Keep us posted on it mate, depending on cost might be interested in another one for the boys to use

Podcast Bob

Hi Kepis, I don't think I was dictating anything. Meerly saying there is one of many viable alternatives made in the UK and I didn't understand the logic.

Mine broke and I had to fix it, and it appears I'm not on my own. But I have to be thankful, for it was this actual stove which started my whole passion for seeing what others were making and developing The Honey Stove, for which I'm grateful.

As an aside, my latest Parcelforce delivery driver tells me that everything is being stopped currently at customs and charged duties. I know we've been hit on all kinds of items small and large. Just a thought.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As an aside, my latest Parcelforce delivery driver tells me that everything is being stopped currently at customs and charged duties. I know we've been hit on all kinds of items small and large. Just a thought.

I had a delivery from overseas this mornig via Parcel Force, no charges added at all, came straight through, but i was told a little while ago by my Postmann that thihgs with typed address labels were more prone to get stopped, especially if they were from a business, the one i received this morning, although from a business, had a hand written label and no problems encountered.

No worries on the pocket stove, i know a few guys over here and quite a few in the US who use them and none of them have said they have had problems, ive certainly not encountered any, not saying they haven't mind, just if they have, they have not said anything, it's horses for courses, what suits one wont suit another, i bought a 2nd hand Honey Stove and then sold it as i didn't get on with it and went back to my SAT, Folding stove & occasional use of my Ikea Hobo set up, sure they are heavier and bulkier, but i dont have an issue with that.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think a lot comes down to approach. How do you operate when out and about? Are you a lightweight or a heavyweight kit freak? If a lightweight chances are you might be a scoop and go kind of person. In which case it is a small amount of water in say a bladder at most or just scoop and go when you need it. You might not need the crusader bottle, separate mug, etc. A simple means of containing a small twig fire for boiling water for a brew or dehydrated food with perhaps a meths burner inside (homemade can stove) for when there is no convenient burnable material.

I like the crusader cup idea and indeed trangias and other kits like that. It just won't work for me I feel. I do have a 2009 honey and now a square grate for it. It works better for me as a means to have a fire and with a lighter meths burner or esbit inside. Not perfect though IMHO but better for me than the full crusader kit.

BTW does anyone know what the crusader kit actually weighs?? I have not found anywhere online that has weights. I'm guessing you'd really need the bottle, pot, base and lid as a minimum. Perhaps the cup is secondary as you could possibly drink from the pot bit. Also leaving the pocket behind too. I still reckon it weighs close to 500g with the bare minimum. If you take less then you might as well just get a lighter pot based kit instead I think.

The volcano BTW could be switched for the mkettle. I think there is a lighter version of the mkettle out now too. IIRC it weighs 200 and something grammes. Not bad if that is your complete waterbottle / boiling water kit. Just need a 30g mug and job done.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I like the crusader cup idea and indeed trangias and other kits like that. It just won't work for me I feel. I do have a 2009 honey and now a square grate for it. It works better for me as a means to have a fire and with a lighter meths burner or esbit inside. Not perfect though IMHO but better for me than the full crusader kit.

What do you think to the honey stove? I've thought about one but I don't like the mesh on the 2012 one.
Might have to wait till a 2009 one comes up for sale.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think those burners are from the Israeli army, I'm pretty sure Bob mentioned it on one of his old podcasts.

It might help with tracking one down so thought I'd mention it

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like the honey stove but don't use it much at all. I did take the 4 sides and used it with a trangia clone burner unit last year in Scotland. It was part of a trip where I experimented with a few stoves. I had my usual can top primus, folding esbit type stove in Ti from nordisk and honey (4 sided only) with trangia burner back-up. I boiled up a few times with the esbit and actually liked it using my windshield that I use with the gas stove. MY only bugbear was the esbit tab burnt too long and some of it was wasted. I blew it out but then it was impossible to re-light so had to be carried out half burnt. The meths in the honey was it's usual performance which is good but the burner is heavy at over 100g. The evernew Ti one is probably better but I resent paying over £30 for what I got for £10 as part of a mini trangia clone set. I will be sorting out a can type stove soon.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Folding stoves are great, but remember usually you're carrying something either to cook in or carry water in. That's what volcano stoves, Swedish army triangas and crusader systems excel at, as the stove takes up little more room than your water and cooking system.

I love the crusader set and Swedish army trangias, just you can't really burn wood in it, can't have a decent cup of tea without the smell of a wood fire. ..............

is the volcano stove the one with the cork in it?

Thanks for the advice :)

You can use a meths burner with a Swiss volcano stove with a simpleton mod:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forum.php

If that meets your needs

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have received a reply from the states and they are unable to deliver to the UK.
@tedw, I'll take the pocket cooker if it is going please mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE