Where can I get a Foldable Pocket Cooker in the uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Hi,
I love these little fold flat wood burners, but I can't find anywhere to get them around here :(
Could get one shipped from the US but it almost doubles the price.
Not even sure if they're any good but I'm looking for a decent cheap wood burner for a crusader cup.
Any alternatives available?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive got one and use it all the time, great bit of kit, heavy though, but good, im after another one possibly two, one for the boys to use and one for a mate of mine, i thought about placing an order through a friend of mine in the US, as i can get them out there for about $12.00, the shipping will probably cost more than the thing is worth though

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Thought about getting one from the US but the high postage costs put me off,
heard from a guy on here who has one he doesn't use though, just waiting for him to get back to me :D

I did consider a honey stove but they seen a bit overpriced compared to these.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thought about getting one from the US but the high postage costs put me off,
heard from a guy on here who has one he doesn't use though, just waiting for him to get back to me :D

I did consider a honey stove but they seen a bit overpriced compared to these.

Folding stoves are great, but remember usually you're carrying something either to cook in or carry water in. That's what volcano stoves, Swedish army triangas and crusader systems excel at, as the stove takes up little more room than your water and cooking system.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Folding stoves are great, but remember usually you're carrying something either to cook in or carry water in. That's what volcano stoves, Swedish army triangas and crusader systems excel at, as the stove takes up little more room than your water and cooking system.

I love the crusader set and Swedish army trangias, just you can't really burn wood in it, can't have a decent cup of tea without the smell of a wood fire.
Am I just being a bit picky? :D

is the volcano stove the one with the cork in it?

Thanks for the advice :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Welcome to BCUK!

I love these little fold flat wood burners ... Any alternatives available?

I'd recommend browsing the archives on this forum, you'll see many alternatives.

You've already had pointers to some but you might want to consider a wider range of alternatives depending on your planned uses. If it's really only ever going to heat a Crusader mug using foraged fuel you might have seen all you need to see already; if you will sometimes want to use it for 'camp cooking' with carried-in fuels perhaps you should consider something with a bit more built-in flexibility. If you could forgo the ability to fold flat, there are wood gasifier stoves which will fit in a cooking pot. The makers of stoves often stress that their products can be used with e.g. meths burners or things like gel and solid fuels, that's something to consider too.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I love the crusader set and Swedish army trangias, just you can't really burn wood in it, can't have a decent cup of tea without the smell of a wood fire.
Am I just being a bit picky? :D

is the volcano stove the one with the cork in it?

Thanks for the advice :)

I've seen plenty of people lighting fires in SATs? I modded my volcano set up but I never use twigs, only meths.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...the Kelly Kettle also has a cork, and the Ghillie has a whistle. Those and similar are great for boiling water for a fast brew using very little fuel -- but that's about all they really do. ...

I do boil in the bag in the Volcano cup, works really well...

Sure, I meant the Kelly and Ghillie for boiling water and little else.

... some mind reading going on?

Yup, we do that here too. :)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have just sent off a request to a distributor in the States asking if they will ship a few over for me.
Hope I'm lucky.

Podcast Bob

I don't get it? It weighs best part of a kilo, the hinges warp and eventually break and there's plenty of quality alternatives in this country instead of carting around a metal brick! Here's a viable British alternative available in Stainless Steel or Titanium. http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/pr...asp?PageID=118

I've just done a video which will be posted later and it took 6 minutes to bring 400ml of cold tap water to a rolling boil using a Trangia in the Stainless version and burning twigs in the Titanium version.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
I don't get it? It weighs best part of a kilo, the hinges warp and eventually break and there's plenty of quality alternatives in this country instead of carting around a metal brick! Here's a viable British alternative available in Stainless Steel or Titanium. http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/pr...asp?PageID=118

I've just done a video which will be posted later and it took 6 minutes to bring 400ml of cold tap water to a rolling boil using a Trangia in the Stainless version and burning twigs in the Titanium version.

I know what you mean,
I think it was the novelty of it folding up that got me.
I've decided to get a honey stove, as it's a bit more versatile and i can set it up as one of those pocket stoves.
Thanks for the advise :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE