Where Can I Find Flint in Southern Ontario/Toronto Region?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Hi Mungo, I am not absolutely sure about this but I think your area of Canada is one of the oldest land forms on earth and was never covered by an ocean or sea, Sooo I don't think flint as we know it in UK was formed on the Canadian land mass. They have it further south. I think you may have obsidian and cherts which can be knapped but not to the same degree of accuracy as flint.
Andy.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Mungo, get yourself onto Paleo Planet. There's quite a few Canadians on there who will be able to tell you from first hand experience where you can get flint (or something like it). In the meantime, if you wnat to throw sparks from your firesteel, try the thick bottom end of a broken beer bottle. Not as good as flint, but it'll work.

Eric

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
If you are looking for a rock that will throw sparks with a carbon steel knife or a traditional steel all you need to locate is locate some quartzite cobbles. Visit a stream near your house and examine various fist or larger size cobbles. Look for one of the two following characteristics: 1) on the surface you may see scattered crescent shape discolourations on the surface, this indicates a rock that is forming a hertzian style cone from collision with other cobbles, or 2) simply crack a few rocks open using bipolar percussion and experiment until you find a rock type that will provide a reasonably "sharp" edge and try striking a spark with your steel.

Remember, that when you are attempting this method of fire starting you are literally shaving pieces of metal off your steel. This process creates tremendous heat through friction and tearing, what you see as a spark is a red hot bit of metal that has been sliced from the steel.

With this in mind, flint is not necessary, only a sharp edge. Look for rocks with a fine crystal structure. With a little experimentation you will find a local source for these rocks. Quartz type rocks are the single most abundant mineral in the earths crust, all you have to do is find the correct type of quartz. And most of them will work.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
In the meantime, if you wnat to throw sparks from your firesteel, try the thick bottom end of a broken beer bottle. Not as good as flint, but it'll work.

Eric

That sounds interesting, so you strike the firesteel on the broken edge, not the smooth bottom I take it?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That sounds interesting, so you strike the firesteel on the broken edge, not the smooth bottom I take it?

Yes, we're talking about a strike-a-light mind, not a fero firesteel. You just use the sharp edge of the glass as you would a piece of flint. Exactly the same technique. Glass won't last long doing this though. You can also knapp beer bottle bottoms into beautiful arrow heads and knife blades too.

Eric

aoombash

Jun 16, 2014
toronto
This is how the flint rocks look like

Thanks a million Spiritofold - not sure if it'll get to Canada in time... but appreciate it muchly!

Cheers,

Mungo
:1244::You_Rock_

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
They do indeed look like flint nodules, although it hasn't shown the picture on here...

how about this for the picture you were trying to display
$(KGrHqV,!qUFIccg!f-dBSOGu,4VV!~~60_57.jpg

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
Go to Ebay.com, search for "flintridge flint". You can get about one pound of flint pieces suitable for flint and steel use for about $5 USD plus shipping from Flintridge, Ohio by Priority Mail. There are several suppliers. I purchased about two pounds for $10 for my firemaking class for my students.

Jim FBtE (Honolulu, Hawaii; a flintless island)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE