Where can I but a decent ferrorod striker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
There is plenty of ferrorods out there in every possible size. But I'm struggling to find a standalone striker. Need something to save my knife when I play with my firesteels. I know I can make one from a piece of hacksaw etc but do you know of anything I can actually buy?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
See a lot of people use garden tool sharpeners, the kind with a plasti dipped handle and a piece of tungsten carbide as the edge.

Reactions: BigMonster

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Big Monster, not wanting to pour doubt over the previous replies, but there are plenty of tiny details to your question that will make a world of difference, depending on your intentions.
From personal experience, I dislike hacksaw blade strikers as they tend to bite more material off than is really necessary to get the job done, they also leave deep gauges in the rod which,I find, leads to faster corrosion. That said, I do have a jig-saw blade that I have covered the teeth in hot-melt-glue and formed into a bit of a handle.
I prefer a large handle - for those times when my hands are getting cold - the tiny key-ring sized ones are difficult to control with cold fingers.
The best I've used so far was made by "Mad Dog Survival" Youtube channel but selling on Ebay - a ceramic piece set into a large wooden handle - easy to control and big fat sparks every time.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi Big Monster, not wanting to pour doubt over the previous replies, but there are plenty of tiny details to your question that will make a world of difference, depending on your intentions.
From personal experience, I dislike hacksaw blade strikers as they tend to bite more material off than is really necessary to get the job done, they also leave deep gauges in the rod which,I find, leads to faster corrosion. That said, I do have a jig-saw blade that I have covered the teeth in hot-melt-glue and formed into a bit of a handle.
I prefer a large handle - for those times when my hands are getting cold - the tiny key-ring sized ones are difficult to control with cold fingers.
The best I've used so far was made by "Mad Dog Survival" Youtube channel but selling on Ebay - a ceramic piece set into a large wooden handle - easy to control and big fat sparks every time.
I had a go with ceramic scrapers and they are incredible. I would love a ceramic or tungsten striker. Not a big fan of the hacksaw blades either.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How sturdy is a ceramic one? I would worry that it’s brittle.

I have a couple of great ones but don’t know the make! I shall have to try search.

Hacksaw blade is not the best choice in my opinion. I like the idea of the none blade side of a jigsaw blade!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Reactions: billycoen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE