Where are these dry bags with compressor valves ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve found a couple but they look like the heavy duty plasticy ones, I`m after a nice soft nylon which rolls up well. Not too bothered about a wndow either, I think I can remember what I`ve packed, most of the time anyway.

Are they available in smaller sizes like 10L & 15L ?

Links ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks CG

I was looking for something which allows air to be released to get the whole thing smaller, I`ve got one of the DZ ones from Tamarack but they only do them in big sizes.

I`ve just seen these which look suitable.

I`ll shop around a bit more :D

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I`ve just seen these which look suitable.
interesting idea - the air gets squashed out through the breathable base... but it doesn't stop it being sucked back in through the base as the contents expand, unlike a valve which locks it out...

Oh, and Decathlon do some dry bags with air release valves, but they're more of a plasticy sheet material..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
interesting idea - the air gets squashed out through the breathable base... but it doesn't stop it being sucked back in through the base as the contents expand, unlike a valve which locks it out...

Oh, and Decathlon do some dry bags with air release valves, but they're more of a plasticy sheet material..

It shows how good eVent is with this idea doesn`t it. I wonder if a Goretex base in these bags would do the same :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Just re-read your reply BT, you`re scepticle then ? I might get a little one just to try it out, I`ve got some gear being dispatched from Tamarack on Wednesday so I`ll ask them to chuck one in. If it`s carp I`ll send it back.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Same sort of thing but from Outdoor Designs and available in the UK

http://www.1outdoors.co.uk/product.php?xProd=65&jssCart=81ac9bad47d6797e9bd5af9f8960b9da

I have a set of 4 Goretex ones like in the pictures on the site I bought a couple of years ago but the site above say then are selling eVENT ones now.

never had them wet but they do compress after being sealed although they do expand again if they are not strapped or packed tightly.

Richard

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Same sort of thing but from Outdoor Designs and available in the UK

http://www.1outdoors.co.uk/product.php?xProd=65&jssCart=81ac9bad47d6797e9bd5af9f8960b9da

I have a set of 4 Goretex ones like in the pictures on the site I bought a couple of years ago but the site above say then are selling eVENT ones now.

never had them wet but they do compress after being sealed although they do expand again if they are not strapped or packed tightly.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I`ll shop around for some

A few years ago I got some "Outdoor Design" dry bags with a gore tex base. They do indeed squash all the air out and don't seem to "reinflate too much. They don't, however, compress. I keep my sleeping bag in a dry bag, and i find that if I lightly roll the top (to stop the contents coming out), compress the bag and then re-roll the top properly, it dosen't trap the air inside. (ohhh, just seen that tyfy beat me to it.)

Dec 16, 2007
"Oh, and Decathlon do some dry bags with air release valves, but they're more of a plasticy sheet material"

I have 2 of these ones and yes they are more plasticy and one seems to have a leak and reinflates. I found just using a simple dry bag with as much air pushed out works well, stops me over packing the bergan.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Just re-read your reply BT, you`re scepticle then ? .
Not of it's waterproof qualities - but I'm guessing it will let air pass both ways... One of the advantages of the decathlon bags is I can fill it, then sit on it with the valve open until all the air's out, then close the valve and it stays flat (or any other shape I subsequently squash it into) without gaining in bulk. I would expect the EVent based ones to 'inflate' and bulk out as the contents try to reclaim their initial shape and suck air back into the bag :)

Not of it's waterproof qualities - but I'm guessing it will let air pass both ways... One of the advantages of the decathlon bags is I can fill it, then sit on it with the valve open until all the air's out, then close the valve and it stays flat (or any other shape I subsequently squash it into) without gaining in bulk. I would expect the EVent based ones to 'inflate' and bulk out as the contents try to reclaim their initial shape and suck air back into the bag :)

Bikething

I've not got either type of these dry-bags (just lots of the standard sort), but have been looking into getting some compression type dry-bags for a while.

I think it's the way the bags are used that makes the difference...

• The type you're refering to with the valve, you fill, roll the top down once or twice then open the valve & squash the air out, close the valve and all's well unless it leaks and then it will re-inflate as the bag still has the potential to hold that volume;
  • The other type with the eVENT / Goretex base simply vent the excess air out as the bag is closed (allowing more rolls to be made to the top), hence it cannot re-inflate as the bag no longer has the excess volume.

That's my understanding anyway, if I've got it wrong I'd be pleased for someone who already owns one to put me right (as it'll help with my decision on which to get).

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Bushscout1 is right...

Although the event dry/compression bag has the compression straps which when you pull and compact the contents of the bag pushes more air out of the bottom...
Like i said above i love mine - i keep my sleeping bag in it lol

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I wouldn't mind getting one of the ones with the valves on for my Nanook Endurance sleeping bag, which is just massive even when compressed. Has anyone tired compressing one with these bags?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE