When teotwawki comes, head north...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The US Marine corps is filling a series of Norwegian caves with enough vehicles, tanks, artillery and aircraft (and presumable fuel, food, spares and ammunition) to equip an 'Expeditionary Brigade' which is around 16,000 men & women.

So when it all falls apart and the zombies come, head north, the man (or woman) who secures the keys to those caves will be the next emperor/empress of the world. :)

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-pentagon-is-stuffing-caves-in-norway-full-of-tanks-fe3f8fe03703

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Curious.... don't they have a seed vault there also... storing the worlds supply of edible crop seeds?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26338709

I'm not the paranoid type.... but this does pique my curiosity...Not a believer in coincidence either.

The article suggests that similar 'stores' exist elsewhere, the idea being that they can simply fly the manpower in if its needed in that region. Obviously this presumes that the 'likely enemy' doesn't blow up all the nearby runways first. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The article suggests that similar 'stores' exist elsewhere, the idea being that they can simply fly the manpower in if its needed in that region. Obviously this presumes that the 'likely enemy' doesn't blow up all the nearby runways first. :)

That was benefit of NATO. There's hardly an area where there's not one (if not several) alternate runways within 15 miles or so. Even the highways themselves can be turned into suitable runways in most NATO nations.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That was benefit of NATO. There's hardly an area where there's not one (if not several) alternate runways within 15 miles or so. Even the highways themselves can be turned into suitable runways in most NATO nations.

Not in my county they can't :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats what I was thinking (the pot holes) - plus there are no motorways in this county (huzzah).

I mullahed a wheel on my car in a pot hole they are so deep here. Not the tyre, the entire wheel.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Norway is a good defensible country, any invader will struggle for half of the year... Unless they come from Russia of course............

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not in my county they can't :)

Your country was specifically one of the ones I was thinking of. There's an od airfield every 15 to 20 miles. Did you never wonder why the RAF didn't consolidate them to fewer bases during the Cold War? That would have saved billions in infrastructure costs. But keeping them small and spread out insured loads of runways.

That was always the NATO strategy during the Cold war; Wait for the USSR to invade most of western Europe, then fly replacement troops into the UK (and casualties from eastern/central Europe) and stage REFORGER from there.

Nor here either, the pot holes would rip the wheels off, Norway though, nice roads up there, perhaps a bit slippy and snow covered now and again though. :)

Yep. Just like all the ones the USSR was going to use. Potholes can be fixed in minutes in as long as resources are available. Until then, they keep the enemy from landing there first.

Thats what I was thinking (the pot holes) - plus there are no motorways in this county (huzzah).....

You have a fair few motorways, but they're not needed. The A roads are sufficient if in the unlikely case that all the old airfields were destroyed.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not in my county we don't :) Precious few A roads either. Loads of big flat fields though - they would do - they did for the dambusters :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fair enough :)

Why is it US kit being put there though..... why not European equipment?

Possibly (probably) because the US still funds the majority of NATO. When I was still stationed there some 20 years ago, it was over 95%. The rest of NATO has picked up a good bit since, but US funding is still well over half the entire NATO budget.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough

Yep harriers on the motorways in Germany, they just would shut down a section of road on an exersice and use it as a runway

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Their actually restocking. While the gulf war(s) raged they (almost) emptied these "Caves" to use the Equipment and munitions in Irak.
Wonder if the Norwegian government also restock munitions and maybe increace army size (he said With a deep madman laughter)?

The seed vault is located on Svalbard. Far away from these Storage bunkers.

And I almost forgot; In case of TEOTWAWKI don`t come North. Go South. Much better temperature I hear.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE