When sheep attack!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted 70

Since the weekend just gone was a fantastic sunny day I went out with my dog and walked over the moors following the public footpaths with my trusty OS map in hand.

After getting lost a few times :rolleyes: I came across a field I had to go into for like 30sec to get to another path. I saw it had sheep and some lambs in, but given all the previous fields I had been in I figured as long as I moved slowly towards the path they would move away, I was in no rush so I took it really slow as not to frighten them.

After passing a large group of them on my left arcing round them as much as I could, I managed to get past them without any problems. However as I looked back to check one of them wanted to be a Hero! and started running and jumping and stomping towards me, started to panic a little so I moved my dog behind me ready to take a hit but it darted off at the last min.

Is this sort of heroics from sheep the norm when walking with dogs?

I am very responsible and always keep my dog on his lead and make sure I follow footpaths etc.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Neo_ad said:
Is this sort of heroics from sheep the norm when walking with dogs?
Not necessarily when walking with dogs, but certainly when they have young lambs. As children we had a rather unruly heinz dog that persisted in barking at sheep on his walking route. Dad got in touch with the farmer who offered to cure the dog - dog spent a few minutes with the ewe in the lambing pen getting beaten up and was indeed cured from that day on.

ATB

Ogri the trog

D

Deleted 70

Ogri the trog said:
Not necessarily when walking with dogs, but certainly when they have young lambs. As children we had a rather unruly heinz dog that persisted in barking at sheep on his walking route. Dad got in touch with the farmer who offered to cure the dog - dog spent a few minutes with the ewe in the lambing pen getting beaten up and was indeed cured from that day on.

ATB

Ogri the trog

hehe lucky for me my dog doesn't bark at them and is scared of them and tends to hide :) I guess, I will just have to be more cautious in future.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Neo,

Many animals to perceive dogs as a threat more so than humans who they are used to and often associate with food. As Ogri says any animal with young is more protective than at other times. I have known horses and cows "go for" dogs. I guess in "breed memory" terms they are still wolves and foxes to herbivores

Red

D

Deleted 70

British Red said:
Neo,

Many animals to perceive dogs as a threat more so than humans who they are used to and often associate with food. As Ogri says any animal with young is more protective than at other times. I have known horses and cows "go for" dogs. I guess in "breed memory" terms they are still wolves and foxes to herbivores

Red

I think maybe it might be time for me avoid them when walking with my dog, as one of my normal routes does go via a field of cows. When it comes to safety I should probably be more careful in the future.

Thanks for the info you both gave me, has given me a new angle to think about.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
that happend to me last summer it was fricking histerical, only this one wasnt jumping just running towards me

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Long Stride said:
You should always be wary of any livestock with young, especially if you have a dog with you.

In fact its probably better if you keep dogs well away from livestock at any time as it can cause them to get stressed unnecessarily.

The worst can always happen!!!

http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0...3&headline=woman-killed-by-cow-name_page.html

http://archive.thisisworcestershire.co.uk/2005/4/22/15777.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4337628.stm

Cows are vicious evil beggars. :eek:

They are big and are used to being around humans.When they have calves with them they are fearless.

There was a herd in my local wood a few years ago and I often found them on the paths.The dogs ran round them but I stuck to the path.I pushed one of them to move her out of the way and she pushed back. :rolleyes: It wasn't a hard push but I definitely felt the awesome power of her muscles.

If there are cows and calves in the field,there is no point of trying to keep your dog as far away as possible,the cows will come after you and the dog.

I was out last night badger watching and I was "stalked" by a ewe, she followed me with a protective stance towards her lamb, standing only a couple of feet from me.

When I settled down to await brock she stood behind my back just glaring at me - thought she was to ram me, sorry for the pun :rolleyes:

Eventually she realised I was no threat and after an hour or so of standing guardian she wandered off. I really did think she was going to have a go.

Never got to see badger in that field as just as it was getting dark 3 lambs decided to dance the fandango in the mouth of the sett. So I gave up there and went to another sett. On the way brock and I nearly walked into each other, he was head down wandering through the young wheat and I was head down trying to get near to the other sett before darkness finally fell. We made each other jump out of our skins :lmao:

Got to see one more badger before it was time to wander home. Lovely animals.

Phil.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
It could have been a werewolf in sheeps clothing.

Or maybe a weresheep.

Difficult to say..... ;)

Once I came across a horse in a field, all on its tod, with a couple of metres of barbed wire wrapped around its forearm (front leg). Several metres of wire (complete with uprooted fence posts) were trailing off to a ripped up fence. Having been around horses a lot, I was very careful and started to remove the wire. Unfortunately it was wrapped too tightly so with some encouraging words, I moved away. After a moment the horse gave chase and I only just managed to reach the safety in time (I must have looked like such an idiot diving over the gate).

Imagine being chased by a barbed wire covered horse! It's the stuff of nighmares (pun intended). Needless to say, the animal suffered little damage (we returned with bolt cutters not long after the incident). Unfortnately, I have suffered several years of (fence)post traumatic stress.

Can anyone else think of any other puns?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I’ve made a point of taking young dogs into fields with sheep and lambs one butt from a yew and that’s the last time the dog will ever look at a sheep.

An image that will always stay with me is of my eldest boy walking slowly backwards away from a soway yew with his shotgun trained on it, she followed him right to the stile and watched him leave the field.

During lambing we experienced a number of attacks from dogs leaving on one occasion 5 yews and 2 lambs dead, when we put horses or donkeys in with the sheep the attacks stopped. Unfortunately so did my bounty.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Having spent may hours working on a sheep farm from my experience at this time of year the reason ewes will chase is because they think they are getting fed. ( I dont mean carniverous sheep! :rolleyes: ) The farmer I know feeds at this time of year as the lambs are taking so much milk and the grass isnt rich enough in minerals etc. The flock only need to see a truck or a person in the field to think they are getting fed and they will run - and sheep aren't the brightest of animals!!

D

Deleted 70

I went out on my normal route last night, and came across Cows and Sheep in the two end fields, so I just didn't chance it and reversed my route back home instead. Long walks at the weekend in future will be sheep and cow free :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Went out with a girl who's dad owned a sheep farm, one night i noticed some big ole bruises on her **** and leg's, so i asked her how she got them, turned out it was the sheep butting her as she went into the field's. Forget what she used to call them but the year old sheep were the worst by all accounts,strange!
My mothers horse and dog were both scared of sheep something rotten, why? no idea, the mare had been like it since we got her at 4, the dog we had since a puppy, as most people know jack russels are pretty fearless creatures, and as far as we know he never had a run in with a angry sheep. He used to run along behind the horse when out on hack's, maybe every time he saw a sheep he thought he was going to get stood on by a large black cob, thus running a mile :lmao:

p.s OOOOooo , auto censorship, very swish :eek:

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
Aliwren said:
Having spent may hours working on a sheep farm from my experience at this time of year the reason ewes will chase is because they think they are getting fed. ( I dont mean carniverous sheep! :rolleyes: ) The farmer I know feeds at this time of year as the lambs are taking so much milk and the grass isnt rich enough in minerals etc. The flock only need to see a truck or a person in the field to think they are getting fed and they will run - and sheep aren't the brightest of animals!!

spot on. I grew up on a farm and worked it until 7 years ago sheep do not chase people even in lamb but they will for food. cows will but just stop and wave your hands about and shout they will run the other way you run and they wont stop

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The landlord of the Pub I used to work in a few years back had a a few pet lambs and I occasionally had to go and feed them, they were about a yeatr old IIRC. I always remember having to keep the Tup away from the food until the girls had their share, it used to be a full on wrestling match, they don't half have some strength!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE