When making sparks with firesteel...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
...my blade back gets ruined. :roll: I did it once and when I noticed a little notch in the back I stopped! Why do people do this if it 'destroys' the back??? :?: :shock:

Use a piece of hacksaw now! Much better... :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Personally I don't find it too hard to carbon steel ... although I do have to admit that I use a hacksaw blade more often than not.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Well, think I would pass out then if I saw the back of Ray mears' knife :wink: He uses the same all the time right? Imagine how many times he lit something with the firesteel....... :shock: :wink:

A little off topic: does anyone know where Scott (Young Bushman) is?? Holiday?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
some of my knives got a bit damaged and others were fine. Though now the fire steel that I have is too worn to use with knives at it's the cheep on in a key shaped metal holder.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
If the knife is differentially hardened or tempered, then it would be pretty hard on the back of the knife, but if it is fully hardened I doubt the firesteel would have much impact on the back.

What knife were you using?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I used a Karesuando 'Ørnen', (my bushcraft knife). It's heat treated and you can see it on the blade! :wink: But the hacksaw is better.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I like you won't use a good blade for sparking the Firesteel. I find the newer version striker that comes with the Swedish Firesteels does a great job without tearing up the firesteel.

Sparks2.jpg

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
TheViking said:
Hi...

I used a Karesuando 'Ørnen', (my bushcraft knife). It's heat treated and you can see it on the blade! :wink: But the hacksaw is better.
when you say you can see it on the blade, what do you mean? .. does it have mark on the blade from the heat treat?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Simon said:
when you say you can see it on the blade, what do you mean? .. does it have mark on the blade from the heat treat?
There was a little notch in the back and there shouldn't be, I mean... it's heat treated so it must be tough?! :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The Viking what knife are you using?

I often find laminated blades suffer badly with fire steels and while all blades tend to get a little darkened from the use of a steel this is easily wiped off and most people probably dont even notice it.

I suspect your knife is of a low temper - although without knowing your knife or what you do with it its hard to be sure.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Right I just used mine to test it and yes it does leave mini dinks in the spine - I guess the temper is quite low but I wouldnt worry about it.

Temper is a trade off - low temper easy to sharpen - high good edge retention but not so easy to sharpen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE