What's this Fungi ?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
101_0077.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What tree would you say it is Nick, it looks like Alder to me?

I don't suppose you took a snap of the top too?

I think there's an Alder Bracket which looks similar​

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just remembered I had a similar specimen from very nearby, either round at Glen Ogle or possibly Balquhidder by the Kingshouse.

They're not as gnarly as yours, probably younger, but I think it was an Alder tree.
DSC00754.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Ta folks, yes think it was an Alder, very traditional woodland at the waters edge in Balqhuidder.

It had furry undersides, definitely not what I recognise as Birch Polylpore/Horses hoof. They were HUGE, scaled by hand there.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
There are some Beach leaves sitting on top of it just to the rear, but i think it was Ash or Elm .Sorry about that I cant really remember, but it was very large.

Last edited:

xylaria

21 centry picts top two are birch polypore, the Op fungi look like the ganoderma lepsiense that southey posted. Ganodermas have brown spores sitting on the top most of the time. Birch polypore only come on birch as far I know.
Polypores are better IDed by arboculturists than fungiphiles. I do all right when I have them in front of me but IDing from photos isnt easy at all. The type of tree they grow on, and state the tree is really important.

The 3rd on 21c picts looks like something I cant remember the name of. :eek:

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It was Alder -
Alder is the most common tree species in
riparian forests
, and it plays a crucial role in these stream- and loch-edge woodlands. As a deep-rooted species, it helps to maintain the soil in river banks and reduces the effects of erosion. Alder root systems which are exposed in the water give shelter to fish during times of high water flow, and provide a safe
refuge
from
predators

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE