What's the sp on Savernake Forest, Wiltshire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Been past it quite a few times now and all looks good. What are the possibilitys there? Is it busy? Is it FC land? Does anyone frequent it from here or knows it well? Would they object to a stealth hammock popping up undetected?

Answers on a postcard please...

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Why don't you ask a few locals and see who owns it, there might also be signs on the entrances and you can get info from them. If it's a nice wood then you're best doing things properly as it might open a proper door for you and maybe others, if you don't it could slam shut any doors there might be and that would be a shame.

Let us know if there's any info on it.

You could always contact the land registry as well, they would know who owns it and then you can contact them.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I guess that camping there is of the cards. What a shame......
Reading their site, it's interesting to note that vehicles can drive.ride the main tracks which is a good thing. I'l take the Sportrak down for a recce with the bike in the back to cover as much ground as possible, then return on foot. Like you say it's a big place so much to explore. I hope that it's quieter than the New Forest, which it probably is due to local population densities. After checking it out, I'll email the Estate and request the possibility of special permission in a quiet area of the park, and you never know. Won't hold my breath though...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Well, only the main drive is accessable by vehicle now, so I parked up in the midle and got on the bike. The major tracks are quite good and clean, but the minor tracks that I was seeking were sticky and mud. This had been churned up by horses making the going very tough (but i don't see Ramblers trying to ban horses.... :( ) but i plodded on.
From what I can see, it's not my kind of forest-it's too open. I prefer woodland with low level cover if you know what I mean. It is predominantly beech with some birch and some truly ancient big oaks. Maybe it would be better in the summer, and I shall return. It is an ace forest for dogwalking I would imagine, and not very busy, but it could have been the weather that puts most people off.
Afterwards I aimed the Sporty up some easy green lanes in the area and even got a wave from the Bobble Hat Brigade which amazed me. Almost got stuck in a slippery clay patch as i have road tyres on at the mo', but ripping up the surface is not what it's all about anyhow. Overall, a nice day out, if a little wet. Need to explore more, that's for definite!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE