Whats the point of a millbank bag?

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I don't see a point in using a millbank bag to filter out sediment in water simply because I never come across water in the wild that has so much sediment in it that I require the use of the millbank bag. Even after a rainfall the resulting shallow puddles on sandy or clay-like ground can be scooped up in the billy and put on the boil and be perfectly fine to drink, so what exactly is the need for the millbank bag?

My recent 3 day trip to Trefor in Wales had me drinking, eating and washing in just three small puddles!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Just try it and you'd be surprised what you'd filter out. I do it all the time with chrystalclear Swedish mountainstreams and am allways amazed.
Plus the fact that small particles can hold a cluster of bacteria or parasites, which are not so easily boiled to death....
But in the end, it's just your own health your playing with.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
There are ocassions where you do have particles in the water. They might not be visible but whether you are using a chemical agent or heat, having something to 'shelter' or reduce the effectiveness of the agent will increase your risk of a nasty surviving.

You are right you can probably drink a lot of water in a lot of places in the UK but that's just as much about your willingness to increase/reduce the risk of infection.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
AFIK its not the particles that are the problem, the problem is that the particles can stop chemicals from destroying all the bacteria that is sheltering within the particles.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I think as its a military issue item that soldiers would find themselves in some interesting places with very muddy and suspect water sources.I wonder when the actual design of bag that we all know was first issued?I have one dated 1945 that came with water sterilizing kit containing sterilizing tablets and Thio tablets.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
AFIK its not the particles that are the problem, the problem is that the particles can stop chemicals from destroying all the bacteria that is sheltering within the particles.

bang on, its just a particle filter, to remove the sediment, Give it a go with a flat cotton tea towel scoop up some in you billy and just pour it through the cloth, youll be surprised at what is in there, dont forge to look in the bottom of your illy to see what didnt get washed out, I filter and boil any water I gather while out,

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
TBH I've never seen a milbak bag (never heard of one until I joined trhis forum) but I've yet to find any water that wasn't muddy after a rainfall. Always had to filter it some way.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lubo, camp in Wales enough and you will get crappy looking water somewhere after heavy rain. so just run it through the Milbank and then the usual heat to 80c and use.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Anyone notice that millbank bag went for £33 last night on ebay? Crazy. eBay has become too popular to get proper bargains these days, even with rare/obscure items masses of people are on to it in no time at all. Anyone know why millbank bags are so scarce these days??

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Because they are still in use, surplus is only surplus if not needed, there could be a lot of kit hit the market soon though I guess what with the total change to PCs and the redundancy traunch.

rg598

Native
Well, where I am, very often I have to get water from terrible locations, where there is a lot of sediment. That is why I use a filter. I tried a milbank bag plus chemical treatment (you can not pay me to drink boiled water all day long in the middle of summer), but it turned out to be a heavier set up than my filter, and for me it just wasn't practical when on the move. Either way though, I need to filter out the sediment in some way because I have plenty of it here.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Anyone notice that millbank bag went for £33 last night on ebay? Crazy. eBay has become too popular to get proper bargains these days, even with rare/obscure items masses of people are on to it in no time at all. Anyone know why millbank bags are so scarce these days??

Im guessing that was the larger more rarer size...that'll be why.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE