whats the deal with smocks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
just being devils advocate,

just why are SAS type smocks so great?

since reading the recent threads i am thinking of getting one myself or making one.

am i just being drawn into an elitest kit area?
:-?

leon-1

I don't think you are being drawn into an elitist area, there are a number of reasons that the SAS type smock is popular.

There is normally plenty of room (people tend to buy them that way), they are quite baggy and allow for movement. This also allows a multitude of warm kit design and materials to be used underneath.

They are quite light in weight and pack reasonably small, both the lighter weight ventile and gaberdine dry quite quickly since they are only doubled in certain areas. Cotton breathes very well, both are strong materials and wear quite hard (ventile is the stronger and more resilient).

The pockets are quite a good size and enable you to get a fair amount into them (they are of a bellows design), the buttons are a good size, when you are wearing gloves the pockets can be opened and closed (not always with ease, but it can be done). If you lose a button in the field and you have a small repair kit, even if you cant find the button, you can stitch in a small piece of wood as a toggle as the button hole will except it.

On the arctic smock you have a large wired hood which is adjustable to suit the wearer and due to its size you can fit most hats, other than ones with a wide brim, on underneath.

When the hood is not in use it can be rolled down out of the way like a padded collar and the cords for adjustment can be used to tie it down out of the way.

But generally people buy them not because of any of this, it's because they are comfortable and in the end that is what we all want. :-D

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
SAS type smocks were popular with soldiers because of the bulgy pockets and their quick drying ability. However since soldier 95 this has died out because finally the standard jacket was as good or even better (being rip stop)

For bushcrafters I suppose it is a similar reason, that plus the pull of army surplus - personally i don't have one nor do I intend to get one.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
The soldier 95 jackets are good and when new thay are quite water resistant. The fabric is treated and I think could be replaced with nikwax type proofing. This would mean you can get away without a goretex (or similar) for longer. The best thing about the 95 field jacket is the price, They are so cheap compared to sas smocks or or any other tough outer jacket for that matter. For example http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr177.html Field jacket, shirt AND trousers £20. That is cheap enough to buy and see if you like it.

At the other end of the scale is http://www.sasskit.co.uk/ Probably the best there is but you pay for it.

You do get into the dpm debate and do you want to look like a soldier but that's your decision.

Bill

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
does anyone on this forum use an sass or arktis smock if so what are they like?

i knew a guy that used a version of the SASS Kit carry smock, and liked it but i can't remember any of the details he told me.

another question how heavy are they?
how much heavier when wet!?

are they comfortable in hot /dry conditions?

cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE