What's the deal with Morale Patches?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've been browsing on Heinnies and I see a lot of these things, and I truly don't know what their purpose is. Is it some military secret? Perhaps a serving or former soldier could enlighten me.
It is just that I cannot imagine that a small patch, perhaps with a comically rendered picture of a pile of excrement (for example), velcroed onto my rucksack, being much comfort to me if things were not going too well and I needed a Morale boost.

So, does anyone here use Morale Patches, and can they explain?
(Sorry if that sounded a bit like a rant)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Yep - for some reason, they seem to be churned out for airsofters. I'm not sure I know anyone that would ever actually use one. A more common practice is an 'anti morale' patch - typically the brigade flash etc of another lesser regarded regiment surreptitiously velcro'd to the acres of velcro that adorns most soldiers clothing these days.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...others a Bison Bushcraft shirt..."

They do feature quite a large badge don't they?

I have flicked through that section of the Heinnie site, some of those are quite appalling.

I did think it odd that there was a Welsh patch and not a Scottish one.

If they did one that just said 'Dad' then I might be tempted. :)

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Guilty but in my defence my lad bought it for me
87dae0ebf1a29b65ebb4999327a00ffd_zps2xhhd3nz.jpg

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
A more common practice is an 'anti morale' patch - typically the brigade flash etc of another lesser regarded regiment surreptitiously velcro'd to the acres of velcro that adorns most soldiers clothing these days.

As usual The Lord Poncho has nailed it. They are used in the military for two reasons. One is to show which unit you are with aka TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash) used in WW1 where cap badges were nor seen as you had your helmets on. And the other is to show which formation you are with. So for example, on my left arm I have an RLC flash on the other is the Land Warfare Centre (CTG) flash. The ones the Brits wear, obviously must be sanctions by the Army Dress Comittee.

They are very popular with the US forces to make themselves appear more menacing or 'ally' which I assume is the same reason air softens use them. Either way, it helps morale as it makes people feel more of a team, the more 'death from above' the better.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
They do feature quite a large badge don't they?

I have flicked through that section of the Heinnie site, some of those are quite appalling.

I did think it odd that there was a Welsh patch and not a Scottish one.

If they did one that just said 'Dad' then I might be tempted. :)

Hi Sandbender
I did see a Saltier Patch on Gunpointgear, I got to admit I was tempted for about 10 seconds, but @ £6,50 the Scot in me said F~@k that. also available in muticam OOOOOOOOOO, yea, well, if it ain't blue and white it's not a saltier.

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Guilty but in my defence my lad bought it for me
87dae0ebf1a29b65ebb4999327a00ffd_zps2xhhd3nz.jpg

Delbach - nothing wrong with a bit of national pride! I even have a Union Jack cloth badge which I might sew onto my usual bag (it is a UK made surplus gas mask bag).

It is just the selection of, quite frankly, awful pictures and slogans that makes me think "who in their right mind would wear that?".

So thanks to all the replies so far - I now know the answer is airsofters and American special forces! Every day is a school day here on BCUK! Thank you all.

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Delbach - nothing wrong with a bit of national pride! I even have a Union Jack cloth badge which I might sew onto my usual bag (it is a UK made surplus gas mask bag).

It is just the selection of, quite frankly, awful pictures and slogans that makes me think "who in their right mind would wear that?".

So thanks to all the replies so far - I now know the answer is airsofters and American special forces! Every day is a school day here on BCUK! Thank you all.
I know what you mean about some of the patches.i took delivery today of a Austrian army gortex coat and there are a few Velcro bits on it and my lad asked me if I wanted some more patches,but I told him they didn't make them in the right shape.i think I got away with it
Andrew

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pants, I can never get pictures to work with Tapatalk. I was trying to post a picture of my BCUK patch on my Tilly hat. Raises my morale.

Ha! Just had a thought, you can see the very picture if you go to the BCUK shop at the front of the forum.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thon's gie dear…..I buy them at two for the pound. I think there's maybe half a dozen sitting in the box….if I see anyone wanting one I'll pass them along.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE