What's the cheapest you could feed a family of four...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So. Hypothetical question. Given a typical family of four. 2 kids. 1 male adult. 1 female adult.

What's the cheapest you can feed them for, for a year.

So 365 days, 3 meals a day.

Some rules.
Everything has to be purchased, nothing foraged or home grown.
Water is free
No repeats (meals not ingredients) in a week.
Calorific and nutritional requirements must be met.
Buying in bulk is allowed but you only have a standard uk size family fridge and freezer.

Cheers

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you care about flavour? If not I did the maths a while ago. It is perfectly possible to feed a nutritionally balanced diet for a UK adult for under £500 a year (£10 a week). For a family of four lets call that £2k (it would be less but it depends on the age of the kids and exertion levels of the adults). The number was based on a diet providing > 2,000kcal per person per day. It is almost (but not exclusively) based on dried carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) with beans and some soya as the protein and roughage, some grains (porridge oats, wheat for flour), minimal but nutritionally sufficient fats, some multi vits.
I suspect appetite fatigue would kick in fast!

However it probably answers your question as well as it can be answered given the information available. It was designed as a purely economic exercise, rather a cost and storage based one - factor in stuff like market veg, farm gate spuds, some spices it could be made far more palatable.

Hope that helps

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Do you care about flavour? If not I did the maths a while ago. It is perfectly possible to feed a nutritionally balanced diet for a UK adult for under £500 a year (£10 a week). For a family of four lets call that £2k (it would be less but it depends on the age of the kids and exertion levels of the adults). The number was based on a diet providing > 2,000kcal per person per day. It is almost (but not exclusively) based on dried carbs (rice, pasta, potatoes) with beans and some soya as the protein and roughage, some grains (porridge oats, wheat for flour), minimal but nutritionally sufficient fats, some multi vits.
I suspect appetite fatigue would kick in fast!

However it probably answers your question as well as it can be answered given the information available. It was designed as a purely economic exercise, rather a cost and storage based one - factor in stuff like market veg, farm gate spuds, some spices it could be made far more palatable.

Hope that helps

Helps a lot, thanks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So. Hypothetical question. Given a typical family of four. 2 kids. 1 male adult. 1 female adult.

Some rules.
Everything has to be purchased, nothing foraged or home grown.
Water is free
No repeats (meals not ingredients) in a week.
Calorific and nutritional requirements must be met.
Buying in bulk is allowed but you only have a standard uk size family fridge and freezer.

Cheers

M

Your rule on repeats is going to be the difficult one. I'm a creature of habit and even without a budget restriction would likely repeat the same breakfast a few times. It's usually going to be some form of fried meat and eggs with a side of either grits or hashbrowns most days with an occassional switch to french toast or pancakes. But add your budget restriction and it will almost always be porridge (whether grits or oatmeal) on cold days and a cold cereal on hot days.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Bulk purchasing has to be one way,

Carbs are usually cheap but your veg and protein expensive, so you need to find them somewhere cheap!

Maybe you should strike a deal with local butchers and grocers. Buy bulk from them full sides of an animal, boxes of veg. Practice butchery/freezing of meat and pickling of the veg so you are not wasting any! maybe even go direct to the fruit market early in the morning for bulk buying!

Game meat can be very cheap, if you know a stalker or a gamekeeper!

One pot meals must also be a cheap option, slow cooking to utalise dried pulses!

Everyone eating the same meals to allow for buying the same thing in bulk is another important issue.

BOGOF and end of isle promotions and also the sale of area of the supermarket, i got a full salmon out of there for nothing, was well chuffed!

Just a few ideas!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Without going too deep into the math, I could probably feed myself, another adult and two children (comfortably) at £5 per meal, x3 per day.

So, best 'indulgent' case scenario £5475.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

OT but was watching a group of experimental archaeologists the other day, who proved that a family of four who lived around ten to twelve thousand years ago, just before agriculture, could gather enough wild grasses, wheat barley etc, in just 4 weeks to last them 12 months........

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
OT but was watching a group of experimental archaeologists the other day, who proved that a family of four who lived around ten to twelve thousand years ago, just before agriculture, could gather enough wild grasses, wheat barley etc, in just 4 weeks to last them 12 months........

How did they pay the Mortgage/rent ??? :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The dole would probably make it easier. If you dont work you can feed a family of 8 for nothing and have enough left over for alcohol abuse, 20 a day and have enough change for a full sky package.

Cynical....moi :D

Cynical? perhaps, ill informed? certainly, awful thing to say when so many in the UK are having to cope with cut after cut in benefit payment. I know at least two members here who have to move because of changes in the system.

I'm 'alright jack', many are not so think on that before coming out with nonsense such at that post please.

ATB
Mr Fuming, South Wales.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cynical? perhaps, ill informed? certainly, awful thing to say when so many in the UK are having to cope with cut after cut in benefit payment. I know at least two members here who have to move because of changes in the system.

I'm 'alright jack', many are not so think on that before coming out with nonsense such at that post please.

ATB
Mr Fuming, South Wales.

On that Rik, I concur.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

ATB
Mr Fuming, South Wales.

Rik

Nobody begrudges a safety net for hard working folk who fall on difficult times. There are those however that make a mockery of the benefit system by milking it for every penny and choosing not to work. yes my comment was a sweeping generalisation but it was tongue in cheek so you can come down off that horse :D

pm if you wish to discuss further

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE