whats the best Hammock and why?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Looking at buying a Snugpak Jungle hammock. Can you give advice if this is any good or are there any better hammocks at a reasonable price.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd go for a DD or tenth Wonder in that price bracket, no offence to Snugpak but they've just jumped on the hammock band wagon and produced another clone. DD and TW have better hammock pedigree imho, Snugpak should stick to clothes and sleeping bags from what I saw of the prototype.

My preference in the range your looking at would be a Nomads Land XXL, just a basic single layer gathered end jobby but so so comfy, they're not to everyone's liking but I really like the stretch in the fabric.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'll second what Shewie said about the Nomads Land XXL. I've been using one for years, but I recently bought a Warbonnet BB DL1.1 XLC, which I find only marginally more comfortable than the Nomad, quite a bit heavier and much more expensive.

Cheers, Michael.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
There is no "best" really as it's all subjective and personal preferences.

I personally have a Warbonnet Blackbird and think it's awesome in every way. The footbox and shelf are unmatched. :)

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I got a DD camping hammock for my fist one, mainly due to seeing a lot of good reviews on this site. I've now moved onto an Exped scout hammock which you can still fine for under £50 on ebay if you scout around. Nothing wrong with the DD I just fancied something new.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I spent three nights over the bank holiday in Kent in my DD Frontline hammock, very happy with it :)

Haven't tried other makes so can't really comment on whether others may be better or not though, but nothing to not like about mine imo.

Cheers, Paul

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Best Hammock?
Mine!
Reason - I made it to fulfil my wants needs and desires, from materials of my choice to a pattern of my design to be versatile and comfortable year round :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Another Warbonnet fan here but as others have said its a very personal thing. I found DD hammocks very uncomfortable but others love them.

See I'm the exact opposite Paul, you no I have a BB, but I still think my dd frontline was more comfy!! But I could be doing something wrong when setting up my BB!!

If I was the OP, get out to a meet and try and few!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
See I'm the exact opposite Paul, you no I have a BB, but I still think my dd frontline was more comfy!! But I could be doing something wrong when setting up my BB!!

If I was the OP, get out to a meet and try and few!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this is the best advice your going to get OP. go try a few out at a meet

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well if we're talking about the best hammock when cost is no object, it would be the Blackbird all day long,

I nearly bought the Ridgerunner as well last year but I think the BB is more comfortable

I had a Hennessy Expedition which was too short for me really, I can imagine the bigger HH's to be comfortable though.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
A lot of "what" and "Which" in the responses here, but not a great deal of "why". If the OP is really interested in hammock camping, he needs to realise that it's a bit like joining a new religion. I strongly suggest that reading "The Ultimate Hang" is the best"gospel" which can provide a plethora of "whys". (There is also a web site of the same name).

A basic hammock is just a flat rectangle of cloth, usually about 5' wide as that is the typical width of cloth bolts. They have a roll hem down each side, and a 1" or so hem at each end. length typically between 9' and 11', the longer being potentially more comfortable. The differences between hammocks are caused by the different ways in which the ends are gathered together. two other variables are the suspension system and the method of bug protection. reading the suggested book will give a good grounding on the differences between the various systems.
I also strongly recommend Hammock Forums, which has a number of"sticky" comments in the various sub forums which cover the various systems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE