What's on your porridge?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What's on your porridge?

• Sugar

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Salt

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • Honey

Votes: 87 38.5%
  • Milk

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Jam

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • Don't like porridge

Votes: 13 5.8%

• Total voters

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
porridge:

mix half cup rolled oats with one cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

boil until goopy.

pour into a bowl and top with cream (fresh and unpasteurised if possible) and honey.

eat with a spoon, preferably carved by yourself.

Anything else done any other way is just oaty weirdness. Never use milk when cooking porridge because it burns and sticks to the bottom of the pan.

Thats that.

Rob

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I have it with honey and some milk. My mum used to try and feed us porridge with salt on. It made me sick once. I hated it for years until i tried it with honey. YUUM!!

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Salt? You're all crazy...
Golden Syrup - that's the way forward - sugar rush first thing in the morning..! Although, when camping, porridge inna bag with milk powder and sugar added (just add hot water)... Then topped with jam... (why can't you get jam in squeezy bottles in this country?)

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
Smarties. The best good energy for quick release combined with the slow realease energy of the porridge. The best bit is when your stir them into the hot porridge they partially melt and release all the colouring so you end up with technicolour gloop with colour swirls in it :):lmao:

Apr 4, 2009
N. Yorkshire
I like the porridge recipe from the Miller Howe cook book. Milk and oats mixed and kept in a warm place overnight. Heated up in a double boiler and served with brown sugar and a nob of butter. A splash of whisky is optional but if you do try it, I wouldn't recommend Laphroaig

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I dont like porridge, after having too much bad stuff at school that looked like concrete; it set like it too...

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
porridge inna bag

And I'm cutting my own throat! That made me laugh anyway.

Smarties, that's an idea. How about Chocolate buttons, peanut m&m's or even just a mars bar placed at the bottom of the bowl?

I like banana and honey - my wife likes almonds and honey, but my dad used to get up before me and my sister every morning and make my sister 2 bowls of porridge; one with sugar and one with hot chocolate powder mixed in! And she's still thin as a rake 30 years later!

I love these threads.

Magentus

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
porridge made with a pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar,drizzled with honey and a chopped banana for the ultimate breakfast. no milk for me and sometimes a spoonfull of flax powder.:D

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
while were on the subject of porridge, i was looking at the thread the other night about the norwegian explorer and quite fancied trying rice porridge he was eating.any body know how to make this or is it a favourite with you already.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
while were on the subject of porridge, i was looking at the thread the other night about the norwegian explorer and quite fancied trying rice porridge he was eating.any body know how to make this or is it a favourite with you already.

Would be interested in hearing about this. I have seen ground rice for sale. Does this porridge use that I wonder?:D

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon

Rice pudding to you and me. (My google-fu is strong :-D)

forestwalker

Would be interested in hearing about this. I have seen ground rice for sale. Does this porridge use that I wonder?:D

No, that is used in other forms of cooking. Take short grained rice (here in Sweden the "secret" hint is that you can make sushi with porridge rice, for 20% of the price, so look for a sticky short grained rice), place in a saucepan with water. Once the water has been absorbed add milk. Cover and let simmer for 40 minutes or so, stiring as needed and checking that it has not boiled dry. Quantities; 150 ml rice, 300 ml water, 7-800 ml milk. Most people add about 5-10 cm of whole cinnamon with the milk. Serve hot with milk, cinnamon and sugar (which I skip, prefering spicy tastes to sweet).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scots have a dish called skirlie.
It's basically like corn grits but made using pinhead meal.
Usually onions are fried in either bacon or meat fat and then the oatmeal is stirred in and cooked slowly until it goes beyond sticky and into small savoury crumble.
It can be done with butter but that always seems oily for some reason, though I find vitalite margarine is remarkably good.

cheers,
Toddy

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Scots have a dish called skirlie.
It's basically like corn grits but made using pinhead meal.
Usually onions are fried in either bacon or meat fat and then the oatmeal is stirred in and cooked slowly until it goes beyond sticky and into small savoury crumble.
It can be done with butter but that always seems oily for some reason, though I find vitalite margarine is remarkably good.

cheers,
Toddy

yup, skirlie is brilliant. We always have it instead of stuffing at christmas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE