What wood is this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice65 said something really pertinent there.
How does it smell, how does it taste ? I can tell that goat willow will chew sweet, especially the inner bark, while apple is as distinctive as cherry. Cherry smells of bitter almonds.

So long as it's not Yew or laburnum, it'll not harm you.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
More pictures as carving progresses please! :)

Will do! Pics to follow soon!
Nice65 said something really pertinent there.
How does it smell, how does it taste ? I can tell that goat willow will chew sweet, especially the inner bark, while apple is as distinctive as cherry. Cherry smells of bitter almonds.

So long as it's not Yew or laburnum, it'll not harm you.

Please don't think I'm weird when I say this, but it smells like the back end of a rabbit. If you have had the pleasure of gutting one, you'll know what I mean! With that in mind, I apologise in advance, but I'm not chewing that :) (although I've eaten worse!)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
More pictures as carving progresses please! :)
20220117_203943.jpg20220117_203948.jpg

This was last nights progress.... it was still very green, and by this morning the dark wood on the base of the bowl had started to crack... so it had some emergency surgery done tonight, and it's really lost some weight around the midriff! Waiting for it to season proper to run the knife over it again and hopefully get a nice finish on it

Reactions: Macaroon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Will do! Pics to follow soon!

Please don't think I'm weird when I say this, but it smells like the back end of a rabbit. If you have had the pleasure of gutting one, you'll know what I mean! With that in mind, I apologise in advance, but I'm not chewing that :) (although I've eaten worse!)

Then it's something grown in a bog, and I don't mean willow :)
Willow tastes either bitter like aspirin or, if it's goat willow, it's sweet.

Apple doesn't stink. It's always a sweet smell to it, even if that smell is sometimes a 'little' like the cherry and smells sort of cyanide-y. Mostly it's sweet.

I use the apple for dyeing, and I cut branches of mine for a friend's gerbil habitat. It doesn't ever smell bad, even when boiled up and retted down.

No idea what your timber is, just that it doesn't seem to fit what I know of those two.

M

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought the light timber looked like ash/sycamore sort of thing too.

I don't mind seeing Ash with that fragile (he said it's splitting) rot though. Ash I've seen is spalted with sort of grey/black fungus. I have a couple of turned pieces here and they're not at all reddish/brown.

Might just be what I know from around here though :dunno:

Interesting thread :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20220118_222806.jpg20220118_222758.jpg

This is after the surgery. Very thin! I'm hoping that it doesn't crack anymore, but that dark hole makes me think I'm in for disappointment. A knife finish and some tung oil will hopefully bring its full character out! It smells much nicer now weirdly, when I was first axing the billet it smelled horrible. I've carved apple once, and I doesn't remind me of that, but it's not exactly a big sample size.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Could it be a young alder? Pinkish-orange on cut faces when fresh…..

Bark doesn't look right for alder and in my experience, it's very light in weight. The orange tinge is quite vivid.

Black locust is a possibility, but that normally tinges yellow and there are often thorns on the trunk.

I don't think it's elm - I had a couple of tonnes tipped yesterday and the bark looks different.

The rotten rabbit smell could be down to the fact it's rotten down the middle. Fresh cut ash smells amazing - always thought perfume manufacturers should try and bottle it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Bark doesn't look right for alder and in my experience, it's very light in weight. The orange tinge is quite vivid.

Black locust is a possibility, but that normally tinges yellow and there are often thorns on the trunk.

I don't think it's elm - I had a couple of tonnes tipped yesterday and the bark looks different.

The rotten rabbit smell could be down to the fact it's rotten down the middle. Fresh cut ash smells amazing - always thought perfume manufacturers should try and bottle it.
It’ll definitely be the rot then. I’ve cut rotten wood and ended up with my chainsaw trousers stinking of a mix of vomit and fresh dog mess.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well I waited and waited until the spoon had dried out properly, then ran the knives over it again, doused it in raw tung oil and wiped it off. It had a strange red/yellow tinge so I baked it for around 25 mins at 180C, until I got the colour I was after then immediately wiped more oil on it. Pleased with the results and worth the effort.

20220121_183550.jpg20220121_183457.jpg20220121_183531.jpg20220121_183436.jpg

Reactions: Aneirin and dwardo

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Well I waited and waited until the spoon had dried out properly, then ran the knives over it again, doused it in raw tung oil and wiped it off. It had a strange red/yellow tinge so I baked it for around 25 mins at 180C, until I got the colour I was after then immediately wiped more oil on it. Pleased with the results and worth the effort.

View attachment 71870View attachment 71871View attachment 71872View attachment 71873
Definitely worth the effort.
Lovely job. I like the lines you have there, very elegant.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks Brizzlebrush :)

I think I've managed to work out that the wood is ring porous. Seems to be clearly defined. Very tight growth rings too, a pink tinge when cut, yet the dry wood seems to be yellow in colour. the dark wood is definitely rot. I'm determined to get the species :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20220129_132614.jpg20220129_132626.jpg

the best 4 quid purchase of the day, I'd say I'm 99% sure it's ash now after reading this. It's the only one that mentions the pink tinge when first cut and its ring porous too.

Thank you everyone for their input!

Reactions: Nice65 and Aneirin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE