Rui

Tenderfoot
img3112small.jpg

what will you do with this?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmmm - one of its names is "Bottle Brush" so that might give you a clue...
The stalk makes a decent fine sandpaper.
Scrunched into a ball it is a fine pot-scourer.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Get rid of it if its in your garden or paved area as its one of the most destructive weeds there is. Splits concreate and very hard to dig up or kill off.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi Rui,

There´s also some kind of woodsorrel (Oxalis sp) in your picture, the one with the three-heart-shaped leaves. I munch on them as a refreshing bite when I am walking, tastes a bit like apple peel. Don´t use it as a stock food source, it contains too much oxalic acid for that.

Cheers,

Tom

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
:D
Get rid of it if its in your garden or paved area as its one of the most destructive weeds there is. Splits concreate and very hard to dig up or kill off.

I got some of this in my garden, i am still getting rid of it after 15 years, you have to stamp on it to crush it then weed killer it, it seems to have a waterproof coating on it. If you pull it it just breaks off at a joint then continues to grow. As Addo said , get rid.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The roots grow up to 5 feet downwards, a lot of weedkillers don't work on it as it such a primative plant. Ammonium Sulphamate can kill it two applications, but as andy said the plant needs to broken first. I know some really knowleagable organic veg gardeners that wave the white flag at this one and use weedkiller on it. Don't let it spore!!!!

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
The sterile, Summer stems make a good tea. It's full of minerals, good for stengthening nails and hair, wounds, anaemia.......

http://www.purplesage.org.uk/profiles/horsetail.htm

Which species are we talking about here?

Equisetum arvense or Equisetum telmateia?

From the purplesage link above referring to Equisetum arvense:
Caution: Correct identification of this plant is important since other species of Equisetum contain toxic alkaloids, and excessive doses of E. arvense can themselves lead to symptoms of poisoning. It should not be used where there is cardiac or renal dysfunction (a warning sign is albuminuria).

From PFAF referring to Equisetum telmateia:
Large quantities of the plant can be toxic. This is because it contains the enzyme thiaminase[172], a substance that can rob the body of the vitamin B complex[65]. In small quantities this enzyme will do no harm to people eating an adequate diet that is rich in vitamin B, though large quantities can cause severe health problems. The enzyme is destroyed by heat or thorough drying, so cooking the plant will remove the thiaminase

Hmmmm - one of its names is "Bottle Brush" so that might give you a clue...

You mean Callistemon?

As Forestwalker said, use it to clean pots. It's Mare's tail :)

Your link points to horsetail, but Mare's tail is Hippuris vulgaris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE